VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all---
I have a new UniBlack 03 GTI, and have had it approx. 3 months. I recently waxed it to the best of my ability, and a week later, it looks like I havent touched it. Is anyone having problems with the clearcoat on Mk4's?
Here's the process I used:
1.) Mothers Claybar
2.) Meguiars paint cleaner (step 1)
Meguiars #4 tan bottle scratch remover
3.) Meguiars polish (step 2)
4.) Meguiars carnuba wax (step 3)
**used terry cloth applicator pads, used microfiber towels to buff (no rotary buffer)
I waxed the car a little less than a week ago, and it sat in a garage for 24 hours to cure.
Rained on the car saturday night, and didnt get a chance to clean it off right away.
Washed the car on tuesday evening, and now the car looks as if I havent touched it.
Washed with Meguiars car wash (no dish soap), terry cloth mitt, dried with chammy.

Any suggestions?! The paint is hazy, and has little knicks that look like fine scratches in the clearcoat.
HELP!!!!

I am very anal about not having swirl marks and cleaning it the right way...
need some suggestions on the nexxt step, other than trading it in or painting it a different color!!!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: black, black, black...what a pain!!! (Rich20thGTI)

If the car looked fine after you were done with your "process" then looked bad after the wash I would worry about the wash mitt you are using. How do you care for it? Try not to ever let it touch the ground or a contaminated surface. Wash it occasionally, maybe replace it if it's got stuff stuck in the terry.
Why are you using so many steps? Claybar, and two polishes on new paint?
If you are seeing swirls it's probably from you. Everytime you wipe something across the paint you chance putting more into it.
Bottom line though Black is a biatch to get perfect and keeping it that way is even harder. Though to me it sounds like your wax isn't working too well. I would cut out the clay bar (unless you have spots that need it) and one of the polish steps, use a finishing polish only and maybe try a better wax.
My .02...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Re: black, black, black...what a pain!!! (MikeBlaze)

why on earth did you use a three step restoring system on a new car?
all that was needed was a good wash and some wax. you probly put most ofd the swilrs in yourself by using the semi abrasive paint cleaner
and the clay bar. seems like overkill to me

·
Registered
11,507 Posts

I have a black B5.5 and yes the black is hard to keep up. I don't know what the #4 scratch remover is but suspect thats part of the problem. And the Terry mitt definatly is. Use a Sheepskin mitt. Your first 2 steps are fine , in place of the 3rd I used the Meguiars #5 Glaze then thier #26 yellow wax. Matter of fact I did that yesterday .. all but step 1. Also the chamois .. unless its a super quality one it can scratch. I use an Absorber in place of it. Meguiars also has a #9 Scratch & Swirl remover which might be less invasive than the #4. The hazy comment to me sounds like the #4 might have hazed the clear. Also I don't know what your refering to as Meguiars polish?
Maybe try this
1) Wash with your soap and a sheepskin mitt ( don't use on the wheels .. use the terry one there)
2) Meguiars #9 Scratch & Swirl remover or scratchX
3) #5 Meguiars glaze
4) #26 Yellow professional wax.
Note : let the wax dry , if not the carriers in it leave a haze film.. which comes off nicely with a QD spray.

Modified by Jesstzn at 3:55 AM 7-5-2003

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, let me clarify a few things.
First, the reason I used the claybar was because the car sits outside all the time. And, I used the claybar to remove all the excess "gunk" the dealer did not at time of delivery. I was under the impression that the claybar only removed surface imperfections, and that the paint cleaner actually pulled deeper inperfections out. Right? Wrong?
I mistakenly posted last night, I used Meguiars #9 only for the spots where I noticed minor scratches, and it worked like a champ!!! (much better than Scratch X imho)
The shammy I used is "the Absorber," but it is very old, so there is probably dirt or something in it. New one getting purchased today!!
Anyways, I know black is a pain in the butt to keep clean, but it is by far and away the best looking color when it's cleaned properly!!!
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!!
If anyone has pix of the way black is supposed to look, and NOT supposed to look, keep them coming!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: (Rich20thGTI)

The claybar is non-abrasive so it is unlikely you did any damage unless you didn't use a clay lubricant. Yes, the claybar removes surface contaminants, not scratches or swirls.
The only way to fix a swirl or spider web is by polishing with an abrasive polish such as einszett Express Polish, Metallic PolishWax or Paint Polish.
Throw the Absorber out and switch to waffle weave MF. The Absorber creates too much friction as it drags across the paint. This removes wax and can cause minor scratching.
Finally, switch from a carnauba-based wax to a synthetic. The paint on a black car gets too hot in the sun and vaporizes the natural oils in the carnauba wax. A synthetic has a much higher melting point and will give you greater durability. I use einszett Glanz Wax on my cars.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: (Nin009)

Quote, originally posted by Nin009 »
The claybar is non-abrasive so it is unlikely you did any damage unless you didn't use a clay lubricant. Yes, the claybar removes surface contaminants, not scratches or swirls.

So what happens when a claybar picks up debris from the paint? Does it get soaked into the middle of the bar or get drug across the paint?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had pretty good luck just using Mequiars polish and then a good carnauba like Mothers or Mequiars. For a quicker wax I really like Mequairs Gold Glass. Love the color black but it is a pain.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: (MikeBlaze)

Oh, it drags. That is why it is highly recommended you frequently fold the claybar as you do each section of the car. If you drop it, throw it out. I like to warm the clay a bit in the sun before I get started. It softens it up and makes it easier to fold.
I cut a four ounce bar into three pieces. One piece is safe on a newer or well cared for finish. For old, rough paint, I would switch to a new piece of clay after about half the car.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

Oh, it drags.

So is it safe to say that there is a good chance he caused damage with the clay bar?

·
Registered
348 Posts

When one doesn't follow instructions for use, there is always that possibilty. To say he caused damage would assume he didn't follow the directions. I prefer to believe otherwise and that there are other sources for his painwork imperfections. Considering he followed the clay with a polish, any damage he could have done with the clay would have been fixed with the polish.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Modified by Nin009 at 11:04 AM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Me neither, don't mind me i'm extremely bored at work. I just like to pick peoples brains from time to time and debate. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
348 Posts

Oh, no problemo. I was just more wondering if you had a specific issue you were trying to identify or resolve.

·
Registered
259 Posts

Use Zaino! Just set it, and forget it... well at least for 6 months.
No other product will last that long

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: black, black, black...what a pain!!! (WhiZa)

Quote, originally posted by WhiZa »

mmmmmm Zaino........ http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
348 Posts

Actually, einszett has comperable durability. There is no mixing or PIA cleanup with alcohol. Einszett cures in 30-45 seconds and you don't seal you paint with acrylic.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

True Zaino is so easy to use. I have a silver dub and when I applied zaino for the first time this is what I did in case you care.
Simoniz Auto lava wash (Synthetic wash mit), Dawn Wash (Blue kind)(Sheepskin Mit), Mothers clay bar, Dawn wash (to remove mothers clay residue) chamios dry (I'm pretty sure this is sheepskin as well), and then applied Zaino products (z1, z2 and z6) Applied all Zaino products with 100% cotton towels.
Since then I have dropped the Simoniz soap for Zaino Soap (z7). And all I do now is wash, dry and apply a coat of zaino and z6 and done. I have yet to see swirl marks or fine scratches.
On a side note, When I used the claybar I just used it in a straight line method overlapping each stoke with lots of the mothers liquid they give you with the kit. I just made sure to keep it well lubricated.

Modified by mrcvr6 at 10:25 PM 7-4-2003

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: black, black, black...what a pain!!! (mrcvr6)

I had a helluva time getting rid of the swirl marks on my black Audi until just recently
in the past I used 3M SMR, followed by various coats of Klasse AIO and SG.. sometimes with a Pinnacle Souveran carnauba topper.. but the swirl marks would usually reappear after a couple weeks (I wash the car weekly with Meguiars car wash and always use MF towels)
a month ago I found out about Menzerna products and onced both the Intensive Polish and Final Polish, with one coat of each of the Klasse products.. the car looks great and the swirl marks seem to be taken care of
the one thing I noticed was that after using the Final Polish, the paint squeaked when I ran my fingers across it.. that's the first time the paint on this car has been this clean.. I used to experience that all the time with a Mustang I had in the past that didn't have a clearcoat, so I used Meguiars Paint Cleaner on it
seems like the Menzerna stuff works well with the finicky german paint.. even in direct sunlight I don't see any swirl marks

·
Registered
774 Posts
Re: black, black, black...what a pain!!! (JoeFriday)

ahh yes black. i had a black pontiac grand prix for about a week and couldnt handle keeping it clean. called the dealer and they took it back but i had to upgrade to a white gtp about $3500 more. black looks awsome if you can keep it spotless. black doesnt look so hot after 5+ years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts