VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Black Forest Industries Clutch Kit information thread

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  black forest ind 
#1 · (Edited)
We are happy to be able to offer you a BFI line in clutches. These Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch Kits are offered in 5 different stages, to meet a variety of applications. Below we have outlined and simplified what each kit includes to give you and idea of just which kit is right for you.

LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEELS:
Our Ultra Lightweight Flywheels are made from 4140 forged steel and tip the scales at only 18.85 lbs. These are superior in strength and far lighter than cast versions allowing you to free up more horsepower and rev faster than with your sluggish factory parts. Included in every kit.

STAGE 1 & 2:
Both full faced, steel back, brass plus sprung discs. Stage 1 includes a 1900 lb pressure plate, good for a max torque of 290 ft lbs while the Stage 2 kit includes a 2500 lb pressure plate good for 400 ft lbs. Both 1 & 2 are geared for street comfort and daily driveability. This is an ideal upgrade for a stock turbo plus bolt-ons.

STAGE 3:
Our Stage 3 kit includes a full segmented, ceramic, sprung disc, 2500 lb pressure plate, good for a max torque of 450 ft lbs. This kit is ideal for spirited driving and would also pair well with an IS38 turbo upgrade.

STAGE 4 & 5:
Our Stage 4 & 5 kits are comprised of both a 6 puck, and 4 puck copper, sprung, ceramic disc respectively. Both kits utilize our 2500 lb pressure plate. The Stage 4 kit is good for a max torque of 500 ft lbs while the Stage 5 kit is good for a max torque of 550 ft lbs. These kits are great options for a big turbo set-up.

In addition to the parts mentioned above, we also include brand new hardware, a specific clutch alignment tool, and a brand new OEM replacement release bearing.

See less See more
#2 ·
have there been any reviews of this clutch and/or the various stages? I'd be interested to hear how they've been received and compare to other clutches on the market.

#6 · (Edited)
Is it normal to hear a high pitched squeal/ Squeek on the stage 4 6 puck when releasing the clutch pedal to get moving? It goes away once moving and only happens sometimes if I try to slip it to get it going. And sometimes when downshifting. I thought it could be dust on the springs or the TOB just making a noise, figure Id ask. This noise started happening after the break in period. Clutch works and grabs great by the way.

#7 ·
Unfortunately, it's hard to diagnose a car that's not in front of you. There are a few things that it could be. So it's hard to know what would cause it without taking it apart. It's possible that the input shaft and bearing weren't greased prior to install. Could be that the TOB is going out. Could be the disk sliding along the input shaft, or diaphragm springs moving.

#8 ·
Thanks for your reply whatever it is its not affecting the functionality, its not the TOB noise. I am ok with it being dust on the springs or spring flex noise. I will report back if I have any issues, but Ive driven it for 8 hour round trips without issues, thanks. The clutch itself is around 2 months old. :thumbup: It is aggressive being a 6 puck, please let me know if anyone else is having this same squeak upon release of the clutch pedal in 1st gear

#9 ·
A recent review from one of customers:

Not that anyone will read this but if you’re thinking about this set up for you TSI, I have the stage 2 kit in my car and I really couldn’t want much more out of it, it’s firm but not hard like a brick, definitely geared towards street applications, engagement feels good, there is a bit of a dead spot at the very top of the pedal which can be adjusted out if it bothers you and the flywheel chatters a bit but I changed out the crank pulley with the fluid dampr pulley and it quited down a lot, I was hesitant at first to buy from Black Forrest because I’ve just always used Southbend for my clutches but after a year with this kit in the car I’m very happy with it.

---

If anyone needs help decided which stage clutch is best for them, please don't hesitate to contact us via PM here or email us sales@blackforestindustries.com

#14 ·
We just had a customer call in asking if we sold replacement pressure plates and discs because their Golf R's clutch needs replacing after 100k miles on our Stage 3 kit!

Needless-to-say, we do! If you have our flywheel, you are able to purchase a replacement pressure plate, disc, and hardware to refresh your current setup. You would just need to have your flywheel resurfaced at any competent machine shop.

Please contact us for further details and to order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.