VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 224 Posts

· Registered
32,888 Posts
Very true. Didn't mean to imply one is more real than the other, and honestly it's just a personal preference thing. For myself the less maintenance the better :laugh:
Agreed. Highline has "piano black" trim here, which means glossy black with no printed pattern on it. It shows dust, scratches and fingerprints better than anything else. I'm not even sure it looks better or more expensive than the "brushed aluminum" in the Comfortline trim.

· Vendor
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
CAI and Exhaust before Tune would not be my preference, but this project is definitely going places.

:beer::thumbup:

Haha definitely not our preference either! Went to go flash the car pretty much straight away, but alas the car was too new and APR had yet to see that particular ECU. We normally would be able to extract the file and then APR could work their magic remotely, yet on this particular ECU that was not an option. We finally sent the ECU to APR this week for them to extract the code and hopefully develop a file for us (and everyone else with this ECU ) in the very near future.

On the plus side, I was able to see the real world changes / benefits from these relatively simple modifications. I will say I am very surprised at how much the car has transformed with just the few things we have done already.

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Haha definitely not our preference either! Went to go flash the car pretty much straight away, but alas the car was too new and APR had yet to see that particular ECU. We normally would be able to extract the file and then APR could work their magic remotely, yet on this particular ECU that was not an option. We finally sent the ECU to APR this week for them to extract the code and hopefully develop a file for us (and everyone else with this ECU ) in the very near future.

On the plus side, I was able to see the real world changes / benefits from these relatively simple modifications. I will say I am very surprised at how much the car has transformed with just the few things we have done already.
:thumbup::thumbup:

· Vendor
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
What tires are you guys running? Do you have any more pictures with the BBS's on?? :D Great build so far!

Currently running Bridgestone Potenza S04 - was 225 40 all around, but we tried a 215 45 for fun in the front to see what meatier look would be. Love how they perform and looks pretty cool if the back matched. Honestly this 18" set up is really just a temporary thing until we have the parts for the 19" upconvert which will likely be built in a couple of weeks. I will post some more photos soon of the current set up though :thumbup:

· Vendor
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I N T E R I O R

With the exterior looking a bit more like we wanted, we set about sprucing up one of the weakest spots of the interior, the shift knob. Fortunately for us we just happen to produce what we think is the absolute best shift knob on the market. Our GS1 and GS2 Series Shift Knobs are a near universal fit, that offer a heftier replacement for your wimpy and unsightly factory knob. Our shift knobs feel very refined, and really help to complete what is already a very attractive looking cabin.

The gray knob you see here is a prototype of a possible production part. We’d love to hear your feedback on if this should make it up on the website for sale?

We've found that the trick to removing the pesky retaining clips is just a little bit of heat from a heat gun to get things plyable. We had it set on low for 30 seconds to a minute or so, just enough to soften it up.

Remember the coin goes on LAST!

And all installed :thumbup:

To compliment the shift knob, we also elected to add a set of of Genuine VW MK7 Aluminum Pedal Caps. These caps are very simple to install and they just replace your existing rubber pedals. Both the shift knob and the pedal covers work together nicely to round out the interior. We still plan on upgrading the seats, however beyond the stereo there is really not much we would change on the inside of our MK7.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
I love it but interesting that you would choose gray instead of black. I think black would sell more units (but not as unique).

I would love that (in black) but I literally just bought your air leather heavy weight shift knob LAST NIGHT!

I cannot wait to get it here and installed, best looking shift knobs on the market by far IMO. Keep up the good work. :beer:

· Vendor
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I love it but interesting that you would choose gray instead of black. I think black would sell more units (but not as unique).

I would love that (in black) but I literally just bought your air leather heavy weight shift knob LAST NIGHT!

I cannot wait to get it here and installed, best looking shift knobs on the market by far IMO. Keep up the good work. :beer:
The gray is just something unique as you said, and we're just gauging feedback. In the Golf it flows surprisingly well, and there are other older cars that it would work in too.

· Registered
5,225 Posts
Really happy to see a well documented build on the 1.8t. I almost bought a launch edition before I got my A3 a few months ago. I love how much value there is for the price. Will be watching this!

· Vendor
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
No sound clips :-(

So just tried to get some sound clips, had the gopro mounted just above the exhaust tip- it barely picked up anything. Then I moved it into the cabin and its the same. So that should give you an idea of just how quiet it is with the rear muffler removed. If someone didn't tell you, you would never know it wasn't stock. It just has a slightly deeper tone at like 3500 rpm but otherwise that rear muffler isn't muffling anything.

· Vendor
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Are you going to market a muffler delete kit? If so, I'm in...

Given the fact that the sound changes very little, and that you have to make a semi arbitrary cut for installation, this isn't a great candidate for production. We may investigate other options, but no definite plans at the moment.

21 - 40 of 224 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.