VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a black GTI on tan leather with the Montreal II wheels. How hard is the tan leather to maintain? Is it necessary to clean/condition it regularly? I'm coming from silver on black cloth which is extremely easy to keep clean. Would I be better off going w/the black cloth as opposed to the tan leather? Thanks. I actually think the GTI cloth is much nicer/durable than that in the regular Golf GLS.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Re: Black on Tan Leather? --- Leather Easy to care for (JWHITE)

My tan leather is permantly blackened at the bottom of the seat (the lumbar area). I clean it on a regular basis but stuff just doesn't take the grime off.

·
Registered
237 Posts

No idea about the seating surface, but I would only get the leather package for the 3-spoke leather wrapped steering wheel. The stock polyurethane one is so slippery, it is like trying to catch an eel!
Well, maybe not that bad.
I love the sport cloth seats, though.

·
Registered
418 Posts

I have the same in my Jetta. You have to clean it regularly or the dirt will show. I suggest using TANNER'S PRESERVE cleaner and the seperate conditioning cream after cleaning. I have had a Harley Davidson motorcycle for years and after trial and error found this stuff to work awesome, and believe me, it's hard to take motorcycle road grime off leather.
BTW, the black on tan looks very classy. I love it!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

I haven't had any trouble with the tan leather like the two posts above. The only problem I have with tan interior is shoe polish. I have to keep my boots polished being in the military, and have added different floor mats to keep the polish off the tan. Occasionally I'll hit the bottom of the door with my boot getting in and I have to clean it.
Make sure you use a good UV protectant on it, take good care of it. Yeah, there's a little extra maintenance, but it's worth it.
3-spoke wheel is great, I'm glad I don't have the 4 spoke.

·
Registered
20,813 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]How hard is the tan leather to maintain? [HR][/HR]​
It's not. Just use leather cleaner and conditioner three or four times a year. The only problem I have is scuffing the bottom of the door panel when I get in the car.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Re: Black on Tan Leather? --- Leather Easy to care for (ChrisMD)

quote:[HR][/HR]
It's not. Just use leather cleaner and conditioner three or four times a year. The only problem I have is scuffing the bottom of the door panel when I get in the car.[HR][/HR]​
No matter how hard i try to avoid it, i always scuff the door panel as well. Wassup wit dat!?!?

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Re: Black on Tan Leather? --- Leather Easy to care for (blackbora77)

I dont have leather but black exterior with beige velour..
its like a bit*h to keep clean..I mean you have no idea how much tape I went through to keep those seats lint free.
I would suggest black leather..but then agai I dont suggest leather..its just too much work to upkeep.
samc

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Re: Black on Tan Leather? --- Leather Easy to care for (samc)

quote:[HR][/HR]I dont have leather but black exterior with beige velour..
its like a bit*h to keep clean..I mean you have no idea how much tape I went through to keep those seats lint free.
I would suggest black leather..but then agai I dont suggest leather..its just too much work to upkeep.
samc[HR][/HR]​
Sounds like you've spent more time maintaining your seats than I have maintaining my leather seats. I haven't been through any rolls of tape, but I spent about 20 minutes the other day with some mcguiers. Should be good to go for a while.
Yeah, there may be a little more maintenance than cloth. But c'mon... it's _Leather_ it's called the lux package for a reason.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Tan poses a problem like someone previously mentioned, my tan seats are permanately blackened also in the lumbar area along with the center armrest. i bought my car used so i'm not sure how hard the previous owner tried to care for the seats but i would guess that with regular matenance this could be potentially avoided

·
Registered
20,813 Posts
Re: Black on Tan Leather? --- Leather Easy to care for (samc)

quote:[HR][/HR]I dont have leather but black exterior with beige velour..
samc[HR][/HR]​
Okay, you have velour, aka lint magnet, and spend lots of time with a roll of tape de-linting your seats and you say leather is too much upkeep? I spend about 2 hours per year (30 mins x 4 times) cleaning and conditioning my seats. That's it. It needs no other maintenance. If some lint falls on the seat, get a towel, one wipe and it's gone.

·
Registered
20,813 Posts
Re: Black on Tan Leather? --- Leather Easy to care for (blackbora77)

quote:[HR][/HR]
It's not. Just use leather cleaner and conditioner three or four times a year. The only problem I have is scuffing the bottom of the door panel when I get in the car.
No matter how hard i try to avoid it, i always scuff the door panel as well. Wassup wit dat!?!?
[HR][/HR]​
You know how the door hinges are notched? I think that's the problem. The normal notch is just not quite open enough and my foot scuffs the door. But the next notch is way too far. Grrrr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.