VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my cabby and i need a new top. im stuck...black or white? its a 92 cabby red with white interior and a white top now. what should i do. if i would do a black top, would it look okay with a white head liner and white seats? black just seems much easier to keep clean. but white is much prettier. what do you all think. its a decision i need to make in a weeks time!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Re: black or white top? (partstosell)

I have a 1990 Red with a white interior... Has black top. But i replaced the interior with recaros so its perty... Ide say black will stay cleaner looking for longer!!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I'm into black too...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: (gotpsi)

CodyC and reddubvert both have red cabbys.
cody has a white top and when he gets his white wheels it will look great. seen a photochop of it.
reddubvert has a black top with gunmetal wheels. looks equally good in a different way.
you could go either way and it will look great if you have a consistent theme to the car

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: (jemsk8)

I happen to be partial to red Cabbies with white tops. They seem to really stand out of the crowd. White tops are not that hard to keep clean once you have a new one-just give it a weekly spray down and use a soft brush. It's cleaning an already dirty white top that is tough.
Of course, if you decide on black, you can get that in canvas, which is always sweet

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Re: black or white top? (partstosell)

definitely black top ... you live in Pa. so a weekly spray down with a soft brush isn't gonna work during the cold months unless you have access to a nice facility or garage, or you're hard core. I think red/black looks a bit more masculine, also.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Re: black or white top? (CodyC)

Quote, originally posted by CodyC »
hard core????? i thought u had to be to own a VW haha

you win

·
Registered
411 Posts
go for the white, i love the white top, i have grey seats, soon to be black, but what the whoo, i love red on white, im getting some motegi mr12 rims in white 16". white top isnt too hard to keep clean, stains from walnut shells is another thing, you cant get those out of anything, im still scrubbing the top in those spots. damn squirrls! normal dirt from road and ISH comes off pretty easily, i use just soap and water and a medium soft brush to clean it every time i wash it which in summer is bout once a week or so. simple greeen does MIRACLES if you have really dirty stuff.

·
Registered
22,186 Posts
Re: (CodyC)

never EVER put simple green on your top....chemical degreasers dry the vinyl out, and eat away at the stitching...listen to someone who knows....your top EXPLODING off of the car at 70+mph due to dry rot and broken stitching sucks...sounded like a bomb went off...and heck, the top was the original, but it was only 10 years old at that point (way back in 97)
Crooked Euros....home of MkIV golfs...and me....

·
Registered
411 Posts
oh ok, ONLY 10 YEARS OLD! i think that simple green isnt chemical based. from my understanding its natural makeup, ill look tommorrow when i go out to the garage.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: (CodyC)

Quote, originally posted by CodyC »
oh ok, ONLY 10 YEARS OLD! i think that simple green isnt chemical based. from my understanding its natural makeup, ill look tommorrow when i go out to the garage.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
10 years is a reasonable life for a new top. and simple green is awesome, in my experiece. my grey top looks great and hasnt dried out any faster using simple green - although vinyl does dry out eventually over time.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Re: (eurocabi)

I saw black because it can take more beatings and wont discolor as much over time. I used to have a white top on my car, and I had to clean it all the time to make it look purty. It eventually turned gray, so I bought the black one and loved it ever since.

·
Registered
2013 GTI DSG Stage 2
1,017 Posts
Re: (kuklaki)

Quote, originally posted by kuklaki »
I happen to be partial to red Cabbies with white tops.

heh, me too! get a white top and change the inside to black.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts