VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83 audi 5000td and i notice that when i flow it there is a cloud of black smoke. The car seems to run well and the engine is smooth. It also only smokes when i floor it. This is my 1st diesel and i dont know alot about it. I was told that there might be a problem with the timming on the injector pump. Does anyone know if thats the case? I've been keeping an eye on the oil and i know that its not burning any so the problem has to be from fuel. I'm also getting about 33mpg and that seems a bit low to me. One more problem that i have noticed is that sometimes after the turbo hits full boost the boost will then drop off and it will not build boost again unless i come off the gas and hit it again. Any help would be great thanks.

· Registered
11,806 Posts
Re: black smoke form 83 audi 5000td? (99mk3vr6)

Are we talking a big black cloud? At higher RPM's the boost will not hit at full pressure like it would in the mid to low RPM range. This all sounds normal to me but if you want I'm sure a reputable diesel shop should be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.