VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it was finally time for me to begin a thread for my progress with my .:R. As I purchase and install various parts, I will post a full review of my impressions. For now, all the pictures I'm posting are crappy iPhone pics. I'll try to dust off my real camera one of these days....

Quick back-story: This is my 4th new Golf purchased since 2007:

2007 Rabbit (black, hence the username) - 36k miles - Random bolt ons
2008 GTI - 68k miles - Stage 2+
2012 Golf R - 51k miles - Stage 2+

Before I get into my mods to date, I'd like to give an overview of my impressions of the car itself, mostly in comparison to the MK6 Golf R.

Engine/Trans
- So far, I've been very impressed with the engine performance, even in stock form. I've read some reviews talking about turbo lag, and I wonder if those people have ever really driven a car with turbo lag. The turbo spools much quicker than the MK6 R, and seems to have a much wider power band. My MK6 R @ Stage 2+ was faster than this car as it sits now, but not for long. I have also observed about 4mpg better in the MK7 over the MK6. DSG is, well, DSG. Fast shifting and effortless. Shares all of the same goofy quirks that my 08 DSG GTI had. Coming from the MK6R, I do miss manual a bit, but am loving the performance of DSG.

Suspension - DCC is pretty great. I'd love to drop 1" off of the ride height, but I'm very happy with how the suspension feels. As many others have said, the various modes really give the car a unique feel. The more I drive the car on mediocre roads, the more I love DCC. To anyone on the fence about getting DCC; if you plan on leaving the suspension stock, or just doing springs, it's well worth the money.

Interior - VW has improved significantly from the MK6 with the MQB platform. Materials are all excellent to the touch and look at. The car is quiet, seats are excellent, and I love how the console is angled towards the driver. The piano black collects dust, but can be cleaned easily.

Now on to the good stuff!

Immediate plans for the car:
Weathertech Floor Mats (installed, see review)
OEM R Mojo Mats (to be installed in May, after the month of rain)
VMR V810 19x8.5 ET45 – Gloss Black (to be installed once tires are mounted to them)
OEM LED Tail Lights (Installed)
No-Cut Harness for LED Tail functionality (shipped)
To-be-named Cat-Back Exhaust (stay tuned) ;)
Optimum Gloss Coat (done)
XPEL Ultimate – Full Front (to be purchased)
APR Intake (purchased)
APR Tune (to be purchased in the coming weeks)
APR Downpipe (whenever released)
20% Tint
Hard-wired Radar Detector - Passport 8500 (to be installed)

Weathertech Floor Liners - These things are great, and will be in my cars for years to come. I keep them in during the winter/spring when we get a lot of snow/rain. Having these keeps the actual carpet floor liner, and carpet mats from getting destroyed with salt. I sold my last car after about 3 years, and the carpets car itself were basically flawless. Highly recommend these to anyone. It is well worth a roughly $200 investment to protect your $40k vehicle. Stop thinking about it, and buy them!

OEM LED Tail Lights
– I ordered these from ECS Tuning. They shipped same day, and arrived the very next day (with free shipping!). I was very happy with that service, and was worth the $25 more they charge for the tails over competitors. They come in an ECS box, where the tails are repackaged (probably to save shipping costs). OEM inner boxes in an ECS Large box. Everything was very well protected.
Functionality with no coding/wiring – These can be installed without any modification or coding, except for shaving down one piece on the drivers-side wire harness. Install is super easy, and takes under 1 hour. Unfortunately there is no functionality with the amber turn signals (as we all know) unless you change the harness. I should receive that on Monday, and install sometime later this week.

Optimum Gloss Coat
– I was really excited to try this out. Last weekend, I washed, clayed, polished, and finally applied Optimum’s Gloss Coat. The car looked fantastic (before/after pics below, although the before is cloudy, the after is sunny, which enhances the appearance). I do not have much opinion on this product. I did not find the hydrophobicity to be quite as dramatic as shown in many videos. I will have more opinion after a wash or two.

Anyway, lots more to come. All questions welcome. Stay tuned!
Steve

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how da heck you get that license plate bracket through port???
It's really easy. Take a screw driver that will fit where the plastic pins are, and a hammer, and tap the 4 pins through to behind the bumper. Then it just pops right off :thumbup:

Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, i mean, u r not supposed to have been given that plate holder. i was only given a bumper full of holes. :banghead:

gotta opti gloss my car soon.
I guess I picked up my car before the bulletin went out telling the dealers to remove this, and install plates directly on the bumper.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you look like you did a really good on the detailing.
i am a lil shakey about doing it.
i have other sealants (6 month+) and just top with a good wax.
but, they say opti only good for 2 yrs. unless you can get the pro and apply it.
what are you going to do with the rear plate? not a good US plate fit.
after a lot of research, i just drilled tiny holes for a direct placement to cover.
i gave up looking for a good/compatible bracket.
Thanks for the compliment. I like getting "intimate" with my car as much as possible, so I wanted to take the time to do this myself. I haven't washed it since optimum gloss, so I can't really comment on how I like it yet. I also have CG Jetseal, and was thinking about using this. It worked great on my last R.

I am trying to figure out the best option for me with the rear plate. Haven't made up my mind yet.

:wave:

I really like the way this thread is heading :popcorn:
Thanks! I feel like I'm behind many others already, but I'm going to try and work at a pace that makes sense for me. Hopefully I'll see some East Coast R's at Waterfest & H20.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yikes, what was the charge? I'm super worried Lapiz will turn into a cop focus magnet.
Actually, it was the stupidest thing I've ever been pulled over for (thank God).

I went in to a new liquor store to check out their beer selection. They didn't have anything worth buying, so I left empty handed with my wife. Apparently the police had a car staked out looking for people under age trying to buy, and they flagged me as looking young (wife and I are 28). As I was leaving the complex, a cop came from a totally different direction and followed me out to the main road. As soon as I got on the main road, he flipped his lights on. Fortunately I saw the cop that pulled me over sitting in a weird spot right as I was pulling out of the complex and about to roll through a stop sign :laugh: .

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Actually, it was the stupidest thing I've ever been pulled over for (thank God).

I went in to a new liquor store to check out their beer selection. They didn't have anything worth buying, so I left empty handed with my wife. Apparently the police had a car staked out looking for people under age trying to buy, and they flagged me as looking young (wife and I are 28). As I was leaving the complex, a cop came from a totally different direction and followed me out to the main road. As soon as I got on the main road, he flipped his lights on. Fortunately I saw the cop that pulled me over sitting in a weird spot right as I was pulling out of the complex and about to roll through a stop sign :laugh: .
Christ, that's ridiculous. A similar thing actually happened to me when I was 21. The cop couldn't have been any older than me and I couldn't help but laugh as he tried to assert his "authority".

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks! I feel like I'm behind many others already, but I'm going to try and work at a pace that makes sense for me. Hopefully I'll see some East Coast R's at Waterfest & H20.
You are doing great! a lot ahead of me lol, I'm gonna jump on mine next year, and Ill be thinking just like you. I'm gonna do suspension and wheels right away that's the first thing for me, and those floor mats are a must I have them on my Jetta now and I love them so eat to clean!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Christ, that's ridiculous. A similar thing actually happened to me when I was 21. The cop couldn't have been any older than me and I couldn't help but laugh as he tried to assert his "authority".
Yeah, this cop was pretty nice, and I think was told "pull over the blue hatch" as i was leaving. He wasn't the one that saw me and decided I looked young. He apologized for "wasting my time" which was nice.

You are doing great! a lot ahead of me lol, I'm gonna jump on mine next year, and Ill be thinking just like you. I'm gonna do suspension and wheels right away that's the first thing for me, and those floor mats are a must I have them on my Jetta now and I love them so eat to clean!
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. Yes, these floor mats are literally a must have in my opinion. Seriously protecting the interior, and making the car easier to detail. Once I get into the month of May, I'll probably switch to the mojo R mats, which are nice and plushy.

Update from this week - I received the no-cut harness from Deutsche Auto Parts on Monday. I had everything apart, and was moving along. I was having good success running the wires with a fairly weak hanger, but got completely hung up when trying to remove one of the wires with the terminal tool. I spent literally about an hour trying to get the wire out of both the left and right side harness, and could not get it. I had to put everything back together as it was, and will have to figure out another plan. This was the terminal tool I used. I'm not sure how to proceed to get these tail lights functioning correctly.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002STTQG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
354 Posts
Any update on the Opti coat

I am doing a Wash, V07, Clay bar, V07,Backlight,V07,Jetseal, Hardcore Past,Butter wax this weekend.

I See you have some of if not all of the same product and I wanted to see how the opti coat compares other then lasing longer VS the Chemical Guys.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any update on the Opti coat

I am doing a Wash, V07, Clay bar, V07,Backlight,V07,Jetseal, Hardcore Past,Butter wax this weekend.

I See you have some of if not all of the same product and I wanted to see how the opti coat compares other then lasing longer VS the Chemical Guys.
I haven't washed (I will tomorrow), but I can say that after the rain, the car appears to almost look clean, except for the hatch area. I'll have a better understanding of how it performs when washing tomorrow. Stay tuned!

As for products, I buy V07 by the big jug, and I :heart: that stuff. I also have Jetseal (used on my MK6 R, but not on this yet), and lots of different waxes. Typically I apply a paste wax, and then a nice carnuba wax for final coat. I have not tried their butter wet wax, as I still have lots of other wax products I'm blowing through before I buy some of that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Update from this week - I received the no-cut harness from Deutsche Auto Parts on Monday. I had everything apart, and was moving along. I was having good success running the wires with a fairly weak hanger, but got completely hung up when trying to remove one of the wires with the terminal tool. I spent literally about an hour trying to get the wire out of both the left and right side harness, and could not get it. I had to put everything back together as it was, and will have to figure out another plan. This was the terminal tool I used. I'm not sure how to proceed to get these tail lights functioning correctly.....
PM me if you have any questions. I was one of the first few to get my MK7 LED tail lights perfectly coded with the DAP harness back in late February.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is going in my photo megathread. After all I'm trying to capture the *complete* and *authentic* R experience.
Notice how I used my license plate mounted in the window to block him from seeing I was taking a picture of him :laugh:

I call that, strategery.......

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PM me if you have any questions. I was one of the first few to get my LED tails perfectly coded with the DAP harness back in late February.
Appreciate it!

Did you have trouble getting the #1 wire out of the terminal on the inner tail light harness? I literally fought it for an hour with no luck. Tried many methods, until I started seeing the copper wiring separating from the metal clip in the terminal, then I stopped.

Edit: I was thinking it could be due to the terminal tool I was using. It seemed to fit in the hole well (that's what she said), but just wasn't releasing the wire.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's a good strategery lol... Never saw it coming.

I got the Big thing of VO7 also it is the best and smells awesome

I am washing this weekend, Excited for that. The butter wax is really soft but only last about a month, that why I am putting it ontop of the hardcore paste, Butter Wet wax is super easy to put on. We should have the perfect weekend for a wash

1 - 20 of 210 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.