VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. im looking into getting a mp3 player for my car. im not an audiophile. does anyone know if the new blaupunkts being sold have the updated chip which eliminates the blips when playing back mp3's and wma's? and does the san jose come with a remote, or is it optional like the mp3000? is it really worth getting the san jose vs the mp3000? thanks.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Re: blaupunkt san jose questions (JEEP VS GTI)

Don't know about the blips, never heard about this issue. But to address your second question: none of the Blaus come bundled with remotes. They don't even have remote sensors in them. You need to buy a kit -- such as R09, which has the remote itsels as well as an outboard IR "eye" on a cable, which you'll need to plug into the back of your Blau HU.
All that being said, I'd advise you against Blaupunkt. They have really fell by wayside of technological progress as compared to last year. They are just about the only manufacturer without any satellite radio support. They dropped Minidisc. Unlike all other manufacturers, they announce their product updates in the year's end. I.e., 2002 Products were unveiled in November 2002. To what they're worth, they all look ugly -- with some semi-decorative bolts on the faceplate, as if intended for a Hummer or something. Color trim schemes combine grey and black, making them stand out sorely in any interior. The whole design line looks 100% false style Euro-junk. There is no good mass-MP3-capacity story -- their "jukebox" looks like ass and can't be mounted neither in the trunk nor in the DIN dashboard.
I do have a Blaupunkt product (New Orleans MD HU) from 2001--2002 product era which I am very happy with. But 2002 is just about when Blaupunkt dropped the ball. Looking for an MP3-capable HU that matches MK4 interior well? Consider a JVC instead:
JVC Arsenal KD-LH2000, just $250 at Crutchfield's

Or maybe this Panasonic

·
Registered
501 Posts
Re: blaupunkt san jose questions (gorilla800lbs)

boo. blau's are a bit more fitted than what your giving them credit for. their decks have the overwhelming attractiveness of a dead-on match for color scheme, and to add the plugs are almost plug n play... two things that would make one think twice. i picked up a $400 blau deck for $100. brand new. it matches, its plug n play.
and sure sounds better than stock.
that said, there are plenty of other decks out there that could very well suit your purpose. depending on your needs, you could invest in something luxorious such as a -hard drive-
but i just want my cd's to play, and that performs as well as it looks. my deck looks OEM, but sounds pretty decent.
good luck

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Re: blaupunkt san jose questions (animus)

I know full well about Blau's plug and play with MK4, as well as complete illumination match. As you saw it in my first post, I have a Blaupunk myself. The point of it was that Blaupunkt has stuck up in the last century with their models. In this day and age, why have a HU that only "plays CDs" when you could also have one that plays MP3s and WMAs for not much more, and maybe came bundled with a wireless remote, and had a hookup to some satellite tuner standard, should you in future want to explore one?
And pretty much everything sounds better than stock, you gotta agree on that

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

hey guys, thanks for the comments. unfortunatly i lost this post and ended up purchasing a san jose HU. i had emailed the ebay store, and the san jose's do come with a remote, and the mp3000 as well as many others have it as an option. but now that i have it, i was wondering how "plug and play" it is. do i have to switch any of the wires, or disconnect the k wire dealie? thanks again. ohh, ive seen a few people comment on the blaupunkts beeing not so up to par , but i found it to be the best bet for my $$. (175$ shipped)

·
Registered
743 Posts

Want to see a pic of a Blau installed in the center console of a dub.
Does it fit flush as the stock HU or bugle out like some others?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Re: blaupunkt san jose questions (Irie18Turbo)

Some are almost flush, and some (all with KeyCard-based security) are not flush by a measure of 15mm or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts