VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup all.
I've replaced all four brake pads and bled my brakes w/ a good friend. Unfortunately after bleeding the brakes it feels a little spongy. (I bled them w/ the power bleeder and also did the two man pump/hold routine for extra insurance. I followed the proper bleeding sequence per the Bentley and am running ATE Superblue.) Ran the car around and bled them again, but still feel sponginess.

I might try to bleed the clutch too since I've read that they're possibly running on the same system. Besides that, are there any suggestions you guys might have or is there something I missed?

· Banned
12,968 Posts
Re: Bled brakes and now brakes are spongy??? (858VR6)

As said you need to allow time for the pads to bed in.
You should do the clutch aswell, they do share the fluid, use a pressure bleeder, don't press the clutch pedal or let air in.

· Registered
3,765 Posts
Re: Bled brakes and now brakes are spongy??? (858VR6)

I have never found new pads to contribute to a spongy pedal.
You would not be the first person to bleed the brakes and still have air in the system. It's happened to me on more than one occasion. Suggest you try again.
fat biker

· Registered
1,218 Posts
Re: Bled brakes and now brakes are spongy??? (Vdubs)

Quote, originally posted by Vdubs »
Simple test, does the pedal pump up harder? if so it's air, if not it's pads.

I'm not an expert...
[fat biker] is right, nothing in the assembly permits much elasticity, and the complaint is a spongy pedal throw.
New brake equipment, unless badly fouled in assembly, will not create a spongy pedal. The
I think the problem system has bubbles. Get a couple liters of fresh fluid, keep filling the reservoir, individually bleed each endpoint at the piston, using the brake pedal to pump fresh fluid through that endpoint, should see the reservoir fluid level drain a centimeter or more for each site. Keep the reservoir filled within the Max / Min margin.

· Banned
12,968 Posts
Re: Bled brakes and now brakes are spongy??? (jhillyer)

Quote, originally posted by jhillyer »

I'm not an expert...
[fat biker] is right, nothing in the assembly permits much elasticity, and the complaint is a spongy pedal throw.
New brake equipment, unless badly fouled in assembly, will not create a spongy pedal.

· Registered
620 Posts
Re: Bled brakes and now brakes are spongy??? (adamthegreek)

Just turned my rotors and put in Hawk HPS pads and dammit, I too have spongy brakes.
I also have a really hard time getting the ABS to kick in, even under super heavy peddal presure. That is not right. I did not touch the fluid this time round but is it possible that air somehow got into the system?
If so, I guess I will just try to bleed them again (changed fluid 6 months ago to Super Blue) and see what happens. When the car is off, pumping makes the peddal rock hard, when on, the peddal does not get all that hard.
Please let me know how you guys cure your braking woes.
Dave

· Registered
47 Posts
Re: Bled brakes and now brakes are spongy??? (ZinK)

I cycled my abs pump with vag-com and the pedal is a little better now. need to get some more fluid so i can re-bleed the system. there is some information on the tex about bleeding the abs. i cant figure out how air would have gotten in there using a power bleeder?

· Registered
620 Posts

Quote, originally posted by adamthegreek »
I cycled my abs pump with vag-com and the pedal is a little better now. need to get some more fluid so i can re-bleed the system. there is some information on the tex about bleeding the abs. i cant figure out how air would have gotten in there using a power bleeder?

How do you go about cycling the pump? I have a Vag-Com but just need to know how.
Thanks

· Registered
620 Posts

Thanks, I will try that some time when I can get some jack stands. Might just take it to the shop and get my brakes bled again. Just not really happy with the fact that my brakes will not lock up even under extreme pedal pressure. Either I have UBER sticky tires (Toyo T1-s) or my brakes are a little soft. I have extra super blue fluid and I need the dealer to replace my window anyway (cracked from the inside, warranty is kool).
Thanks again
Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.