VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
My Passat is in need of new brakes all around - the whole deal, rotors and pads. And since it'll be three years this summer for the Passat, I'll be bleeding the brake fluid and replacing it. I've got a few questions first though:
(Please forgive the duh factor
on this one : )
> When I bleed the brake lines, should I always keep fluid in the system (eg, keep the reservoir supplied with fresh fluid - no air bubbles)? Does anyone try and drain dry (or close to) and then refill, or not? I think the dealer just sucks the new fluid through the lines with the old stuff still in there figuring the old stuff will come out first.
> There's a little screen in the brake fluid reservoir under the cap. If I'm going to suck out the excess old fluid with a turkey baster, how do I get this screen out w/o breaking it? Does it just snap out, or is there some trick to it?
Thanks!

[Modified by SweatSwede, 7:19 PM 4-6-2002]

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Re: Bleeding my brakes question (SweatSwede)

For the bleeding, yes, always check the reservoir and keep it full w/ fresh fluid.
I recently purchased this one man bleeder for Griot's. It works well. Just keep extracting fluid until you see fresh fluid. Just keep the reservoir full.
The screen pulls out. You can grab it with some needle nose pliers. It takes a little tug. It might be a better idea to leave the dirty fluid in, so this way you'll know when it's all out of the system. Just keep an eye on the reservoir, and keep it full with fresh VW approved DOT 4 brake fluid.
If I were doing the job, I'd replace the pads and rotors all around, then proceed to flushing the brake fluid. Start at the caliper furthest from the master cylinder (right/rear), and then work your way to the front.
Good luck. Here's the product. I copied it out of the catalog. Hope it helps.
You won't be disappointed with the product.

THE PUMPABLE ONE MAN BRAKE FLUID EXTRACTOR
This brake fluid extracting system is the easiest way to bleed brakes by yourself if you don't have an air compressor. Start by creating vacuum in the 19 1/2" tall container by pumping the unit about ten times. Then push the red rubber fitting (on the end of the 61" clear extracting tube) over the bleeder screw, open the bleeder screw, and watch the dirty fluid get sucked out. It doesn't get any simpler! A special reservoir refill bottle is included to maintain a constant level of clean brake fluid in the master brake reservoir. When you start to see clean fluid come through the clear tube you know you're done. I recommend you use the extractor to suck out the dirty fluid from the master reservoir first, fill with fresh brake fluid, then start bleeding the brakes. Great for race tracks or areas without air compressors. The extractor tank holds 1.056 gallons of brake fluid! 19 1/2" tall. Made in Taiwan
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_2000&L2=L2_2050&SKU=85700

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.