VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i cant seem to track down a blinktekdesign heat shield, so i've decided to make my own.
i have a few questions for those lucky few that have one. first off, is it aluminum? second, whats the thickness of it?
thanks in advance :beer:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
it is aluminum, he used basically the same thickness as a road sign would be but you can find adequate thickness's at home depot or Lowe's. and use cardboard as your template and cut from there, then use a rubber hose to cover the edges,

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking about using 1/8" aluminum but now that i think about it that seems pretty thick.
i have my template all made up, just waiting on some materials.
i'll also be putting this on the exhaust side:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Are you able to put up the dimensions of the shield when you are done so others can do their own too? At least as a starting point?

Doug

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
use card board to form a template,
start off with 20"wide and 12" height you'll use most of that

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
made a mock up put of stainless steel. still waiting on my alu. plate and reflect a gold to come in. here are some pics of the heat shield and my N75 re routed

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
made a mock up put of stainless steel. still waiting on my alu. plate and reflect a gold to come in. here are some pics of the heat shield and my N75 re routed
Is that aluminum like the one from Home Depot?

I'm thinking the plates they sell at Home Depot will be too thin to keep out the heat.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Anything else we can put on the aluminum to prevent it from passing heat in to the intake side?

The blintek one looks wrinkly on one side.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The one in my pics are made of 20 guage stainless. i will later be making it out of 16 guage aluminum.
the DEI reflect-a-gold material on the turbo side of the head shield will keep about 80% of the heat out. even without the reflect a gold my intake is staying much cooler.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
mk1 rabbit gti and I will be working laying this out on CAD.

They will be available in 12GA aluminum laser cut and formed.

If you want to place an order talk to mk1 rabbit gti or myself. Price is still to be worked out.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here is the heat shield pretty much all done. almost ready to make some aluminum ones :peace:

with the heat shield my, air box is staying ice cold :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
mk1 rabbit gti and I will be working laying this out on CAD.

They will be available in 12GA aluminum laser cut and formed.

If you want to place an order talk to mk1 rabbit gti or myself. Price is still to be worked out.
sorry to necro this thread, did you ever get this done?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts