VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we saw -32C (that's before the wind chill factor) in Montreal...thank god for my block heater.
I've been told these things make the meter spin like hell!! Not that I care, I need my car in the morning...but out of curiosity, does someone know what's the power rating on those things (OEM)?

· Registered
1,256 Posts
Re: block heater consumption? (SpeedWheel)

not sure. i know they use under 500 watts. I am going to go put one in today cause it was 40 below the other night and tonight is supposed to be the coldest of the year. thats F not C. anyway, the inline heaters and the magnetic ones use like 1500 watts and they suck the juice. think of it this way, a lightbulb is rated at like 40, 60, 100 watts. that gives you a comparison.

· Registered
1,256 Posts
Re: block heater consumption? (The_Hamster)

thats exactly what i did. make sure that you plug it in with a relatively large extension cord. large meaning the gauge of the wire is big. i plugged mine in with a 100' cord that is like 14/2 or 12/2 and it cooked the heater. time for a new one.

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: block heater consumption? (claytski)

thanks for your answer guys!
a timer would be great....unfortunately, that means i need to leave plugged 24/7 and I live in a complex...wouldn't last a day
.... I know I saw a thermostat that turns on below a certain temp. laying somewhere at my work...i'll leave under the hood next to the airbox...I think I'm going to "borrow" it until spring. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,801 Posts
Re: block heater consumption? (claytski)

Quote, originally posted by claytski »
thats exactly what i did. make sure that you plug it in with a relatively large extension cord. large meaning the gauge of the wire is big. i plugged mine in with a 100' cord that is like 14/2 or 12/2 and it cooked the heater. time for a new one.

Try a cord for an RV. I got one that's 10gauge wire throughout. Heavier than the wire throughout your house, it's good enough to run my 110v MIG welder on without any problems.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.