VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Banned
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a string of questions about blow off valves on the 2001 GTI GLS, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to put a blow off valve on my 2001 GTI GLS.
What are good loud bovs for around $200?
Also i heard i would need a new mass air flow sensor if i indeed got a bov, is this true?
Or can i get around not getting a mass air flow sensor and some kind of regulator thats cheaper?
i want to spend around 500 on a blow off valve and other things to get the bov working properly and smoothly...
Once again this help is greatly appreciated..

· Registered
690 Posts
Re: Blow off Valve for a 2001 GTI GLS (Paxle)

$500 on BOV stuff!!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Just go buy an aftermarket CAI and a good DV like from Forge or something. Trust me, it's almost as loud as a BOV and it will work better, not have to worry about your MAF.
You'll have quite a bit left over too if you had $500 for all of it.
Just my opinion

· Registered
690 Posts
Re: (USMC_GTI)

CAI = Cold Air Intake
DV = Diverter Valve
DV does the same thing that a BOV does excep it recirculates the air back into the intake, which is why BOV's can make the car run like ass cause it will just vent the air. You could get a good DV for around $140 and an intake for probably $200.
Use the search, you'll find TONS of info about this. Try the 1.8T forums too.

· Registered
54 Posts
Re: Blow off Valve for a 2001 GTI GLS (USMC_GTI)

please don't start to flame...... guys
as for your question, the DV that the other guy mentioned is a diverter valve, which is what our cars have in place instead of blow off valves. aftermarket DVs generally work better than BOVs, and many people who put BOVs on their cars have their check engine light come on.
i've run both BOVs and DVs and never had a problem with either. a DV will pretty much be silent until you get a cold air intake to go along with it. then the sounds will be pretty much the same as a BOV.
I had a forge DV and now i have a HKS BOV and dont have any complaints about either.
as for sound..... there are louder ones.... but the hks is enough for me. the more boost u push the louder and higher pitched the sound
have fun with whatever u choose!!

· Banned
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, so a CAI will sound similiar to a bov? I really want that sound, when i shift or rev.. So CAI will do it, ive heard BOVS are a pain for for 1.8T because of the rich environment or something, and thats it would be bad if i just had a stand alone bov, is this true, or would a CAI and a BOV get the job done? Thanks once again
USMC PFC
anthony

· Registered
6,625 Posts
Re: (USMC_GTI)

don't buy any kind of blow off valve. if u just want the noise the sound of the stock diverter valve will echo through your cold air intake and create the "psssst" noise you want so bad. Then take the money i just saved u and spend it on a chip.

· Banned
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good, i dont really care about performance all i want is that sound extremely loud so when i fly past someone they get a good hear.. I think im gonna go CAI first with stock DV, if that dont cut it, im gonna get a BOV too. Any comments suggestions is quite cool, thanks

· Registered
42 Posts
Re: (Buttero J-Lo)

i have a cold air with a GFB blow off(RECIRCULATION MODE) and it sounds great<LOUD,, BOV flutters alot tho,, people give me wierd looks all the time cause i have the stock quite exhausts and it makes a fluttering,, ,, but when i stomp on the gas and hit 18 psi and let off the gas,, SUPER LOUD BLOW OFF,, sounds like someone is kicking a metal fence real hard,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.