VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
8,288 Posts
Re: Blow off valve sound vs DV (turbomaniaco)

Straight BOVs are said to cause problems. I have a DV/BOV hybrid and i have no problems. Also, a Cold Air Intake will make a DV sound like a BOV. Not to be an a$$ but try a search. This question has been asked and answered over and over again.

edit:vw tank must type faster than i do (he beat me to it)

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Re: Blow off valve sound vs DV (602crew)

Quote, originally posted by 602crew »
Straight BOVs are said to cause problems. I have a DV/BOV hybrid and i have no problems. Also, a Cold Air Intake will make a DV sound like a BOV. Not to be an a$$ but try a search. This question has been asked and answered over and over again.

edit:vw tank must type faster than i do (he beat me to it)

a few things on DVs/BOV
if u're going strictly for the sound, there two ways to go, BOV or DV (drr). if you want to take the DV route, you'll need an intake and then u're pretty much set. the draw back from this setup is, if u're going for sound, isn't as loud as a BOV can be. thus, if you want more volume, go BOV. now, using a BOV has a draw back, overtime, your air/fuel ratios get a little messed and then you start to run really rich and your performance goes down. i dunno by how much, but i've read some threads saying to take out BOV's to decrease 1/4times. so, i guess if it can show up on the timeslip, it does make a diff (don't quote me). as far as BOV's in DV mode, they do the job right, however, i've read some threads on how they break down or some'n (i'm still vague on that topic).
i hope this answers some questions
K
if u want a sound file, i dunno where u can find one. hahahaha

· Registered
1,724 Posts
Re: Blow off valve sound vs DV (SlowDalPangEe)

The BOV that I've heard (brand not sure of) makes a high pitch/whistling sound - "pssschh". The DV that i have teamed with a CAI makes a solid "whoossh" sound. The DV and CAI setup isn't as high pitch as the BOV but it's still pronounced.
I went with the DV/CAI setup for the solid performance and semi stealthiness. I wasn't digging the fact that the BOV's mess with your engines performance. That right there pretty much made the decision for me.
What ever you decide it's your car and as long sa you like it thats all that matters.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Re: Blow off valve sound vs DV (Jman5000)

Quote, originally posted by Jman5000 »
DV's sound like...."I WORK pshh"
BOV's sound like...."I'll give you a CEL...wipsiahsoiaspapsshhshhhhAaahahhsahhh"

thats the funniest thing i have read all day.....
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
626 Posts
Re: Blow off valve sound vs DV (Jman5000)

Um, lets be honest here. BOV (blow off valves) and DV's (diverter valves) are the same thing. Dont be fooled by someone telling you any different. Just because a DV routes back into the intake plumbing doesn't make it DIFFERENT. Your just playing with words and letters and it doesn't make sense. A blow off valve is a blow off valve, they can exit (blow off) into the atmosphere under the hood (louder noise) or you can route them back into the intake plumbing (less noise, no problem with MAF). To all of you "know it alls" how do you then describe a Greddy blow off valve plumbed back into the intake pipe so it doesn't discharge out in free air ?? Diverter Valve is just a term folks in the Euro scene adopted instead of just calling them what they are to the rest of the world ... blow off valves. Please read more.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Re: Blow off valve sound vs DV (shucky)

Quote, originally posted by shucky »
Um, lets be honest here. BOV (blow off valves) and DV's (diverter valves) are the same thing. Dont be fooled by someone telling you any different. Just because a DV routes back into the intake plumbing doesn't make it DIFFERENT. Your just playing with words and letters and it doesn't make sense. A blow off valve is a blow off valve, they can exit (blow off) into the atmosphere under the hood (louder noise) or you can route them back into the intake plumbing (less noise, no problem with MAF). To all of you "know it alls" how do you then describe a Greddy blow off valve plumbed back into the intake pipe so it doesn't discharge out in free air ?? Diverter Valve is just a term folks in the Euro scene adopted instead of just calling them what they are to the rest of the world ... blow off valves. Please read more.

um, why so hostile? does this thread offend you or something?

· Registered
1,724 Posts

Your just playing with words and letters and it doesn't make sense.

Lets be honest, your post doesnt quite make sense.
Where did this pent up rage come from?

Another friendly, informative post turns sour. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
626 Posts
Re: Blow off valve sound vs DV (BillabongSLC)

Sorry guys, your right. I'm just having a crappy day at work so my typing this message didn't come out as planned. Sorry for real. Didn't mean to offend anyone or ruin the thread. Besides the tone of my message I hope the info actually does explain things a bit, at least from my experiences. Peace, Mike

· Registered
20,210 Posts

We note the difference because our cars from factory are made to run with a DV (that is recirculating back in to the system...) a BOV does what it's name says blows off into the air instead of recirculating. Both serve the function of diverting the air from heading in the wrong direction when you are off the gas, and possibly ruining your turbo, but one is designed to release the other to recirculate.

I have a GFB hybrid valve ( it functions as either DV or BOV, depending on installation ). Installed as a BOV, you get the signature PSSSHH!! sound though it isn't as loud as the whistles from larger valves like HKS. Downside is it introduces a lot more turbo lag than stock, Installed as a DV, it makes even less noise, but it holds boost especially early in the rev much better than stock. thats been my experience... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
17' Raptor '18 4Runner '15 S3
18,412 Posts
Re: Blow off valve sound vs DV (gizmopop)

The main problem is where the MAF is located. If you were to relocate your MAF to say after the intercooler you could use a BOV. Our cars don't like it when you vent air that has already been measured by the MAF. Getting a CAI will give you sound similar to a BOV, it will not be as loud though. IF you really want to run a BOV just find a way to relocate your MAF.

· Registered
180 Posts
Re: Blow off valve sound vs DV (TurboDeutschmann)

Quote, originally posted by TurboDeutschmann »
or you could get the hks ssbov kit (that doesnt mess w/ the maf or the air/fuel ratio) ...

Granted it won't give you a CEL if tuned just right, but it DOES mess with the A/F ratio. You WILL run RICH between shifts.
Venting ANY metered air to the atmosphere is going to be an issue; no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It sure does sound great though! L8z,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.