VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm looking into getting a blow-off valve for a jetta 1.8T. I mostly want the hissing noise it makes but does it even effect your performance? Also is there any reason not to do this mod and if i do do it then is there any brand of blow off valve to get or stay away from. Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Im not a guru when it comes to this stuff, but heres wut Ive gotten from it.... a BOV vents to aatmosphere, and our 1.8Ts arent made for that. I think you leak boost or sumthin along those lines. In order to have one work , you would need a recirculation kit, which would then vent the discharge bak into the intake, as the DV alredy duz. Feel free to point it out if im rong, hope that helps.
EDIT: it would be cheepr, and prolly smarter to jus go with a DV + CAI. Thaz jus my opinion

Modified by pablizzo at 7:06 AM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
626 Posts
Re: (pablizzo)

Quote, originally posted by pablizzo »
...it would be cheepr, and prolly smarter to jus go with a DV + CAI. Thaz jus my opinion

Absolutely true. There are people that successfully use a valve that vents to atmosphere, but most eventually have issues. I good flowing intake on it's own will make the factory DV more audible, as the air box muffles that sound. Do that first if you're mainly looking for the sound.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Re: (leftcoastvw)

The FAQ at the top of the page contains a link called "Blow-Off-Valve VS. Diverter Valve". If you read it -- or click here and enter rhe search term "bov AND dv" (notice the option to search recent or archived threads) -- you'll find that our cars are designed for DVs, not BOVs, and that even though a few people get away with running BOVs without problems, a majority of people can't.
Welcome aboard -- the FAQ and Search will answer a lot of your questions at first, so check 'em out!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Blow-Off Valve (JettaDude123)

2 years and running with an HKS BOV...no problems, no gains, no CEL, 10min install...i have a friend that runs a greedy bov too. HKS has a recirculation kit if you don't want to vent into the atmosphere. most people will say you will run rich. yes, thats true, but only when you let off the throttle or blow off.
before i got the HKS, i tried the turbo xs bypass valve, not installed in the car currently, the H25 valve i think it was, looking for the ppphhhhssttt. i ran it with 3 washers and no washers, the ppphhhsssttt was muffled and barely audible.
Current mods to the car:
AEM CAI
2.5" techtonics turboback exhaust (busted the flange off the dp after i bought it a year ago)
HKS bov

·
Registered
809 Posts
Re: Blow-Off Valve (SDgti1.8t2002)

I have a HKS Super SeQ blow off, and I haven't had a problem with it yet. My car is chipped, and I have a AEM CAI, along with some other mods. Some people have problems with BOV, so they go with a DV. My friend and I both have MK4 1.8t's with HKS BOV.....No problem!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
just installed my Hyperboost diverter -- very nice unit and sounds a bit better than the factory one -- i got the flash silver one -- they also have black annodized

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Blow-Off Valve (NoItchGTI)

So does the CAI effect the DV's sound? how much of a difference is there in the sound of a CAI with the stock DV and the BOV? I want a nice loud pppphhhssssttt sound. Also how much is the HKS BOV? Thanks for all the feedback

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm also curious, if i was to run a Bailey DV with my KN drop in filter in the airbox, will i hear a difference? how long is it? anyone?

·
Registered
26 Posts

I have a aem cai with a forge dv and it makes a good sound. I had a gfb bov and i lost boost a lot. I would go with the dv and the cai. you will get a good sound.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Re: (Mk4Idol)

Quote, originally posted by Mk4Idol »
I'm also curious, if i was to run a Bailey DV with my KN drop in filter in the airbox, will i hear a difference? how long is it? anyone?

a k&n panel filter isnt a performance mod no matter what k&n says - try this - go to the drag strip and run 5 runs with your stock filter than run 5 runs without a filter at all (wont really hurt since there is very little dust at the strip) and see if your times improve - doubt it -- its a good filter but only good becaus eyou can clean it and reuse - and you will never really hear a DV if you dont have an open element

·
Registered
5,140 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JettaDude123 »
So does the CAI effect the DV's sound? how much of a difference is there in the sound of a CAI with the stock DV and the BOV? I want a nice loud pppphhhssssttt sound. Also how much is the HKS BOV? Thanks for all the feedback

CAI + DV sounds better then a BOV.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Re: Blow-Off Valve (Nessal)

Quote, originally posted by Nessal »

CAI + DV sounds better then a BOV.

Thats personal opinion...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts