VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

does anyone have details on vw mk1 cabriolet/rabbit A/C blower fan motor carbon bushes to replace and if you get can get holder of carbon bushes?

Reason I ask is that I found issue with my blower fan motor problem, where one of the carbon bushes and holder are damaged and so just need to replace them.

Does anyone have old blower fan motor still hanging around I can buy or know of other blower fan motors from VW that will have same carbon bushes holders in them to then use and fix this issue?

Unit details: vw blower fan # 171-820-015 or 021
Carbon Bushes measure 8mm, 9mm, 22mm

Pics:

Unit

The issue!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok some good - looks like I have found supplier of carbon bushes :) and also looks like mk3/4 vw fans have same carbon bushes and holders, ordered a second hand one and waiting for it to turn up to see if I can make it work. If it does work I will do full write up for everyone as paying out $500 for new old stock one is just too much compared to possible $30 total fix cost and few hours to repairing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well it worked out perfectly.

I will spend time doing the write up for everyone with details on where to get new Carbon Bushes and right parts from later model blower fans.

Summary:
The new Carbon Bushes worked perfectly.
The carbon bushes holders from later blower fan motor from VW golf mk3/4 are the same setup and fitted perfectly
I added disconnects on cables so its easier to service blower motor in the future, so no more disconnecting cable from inside the car.
Just ordered another later model blower fan motor as additional spares for future.
Money saved - ALOT $$$

Got to love VW for keeping certain things the same for years - thank you VW!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you fix one problem and then find another!!

Tested out the complete system today on all the settings and noticed the Vacuum servo for air recirulation flap was not opening or closing, so I followed this amazing PDF - http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/HVACTesting.pdf and everything was working just perfect until I tested the vacuum distributor and bingo we have a leak.

Part #161820293B - another expensive part, not available from VW!

So some research and looks like there is alot of good info on vwvortex - the best thread on how this unit works was found here:

and

Next steps!
  • find a replacement part
  • try and fix my one, I noticed a few people have tried a few tricks and got it to stop leaking, but I am guessing I will have to get a replacement part.

Be interested to hear from others who has tried to fix this part or where people are buying these new from?

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok so managed to get another vacuum pipe junction, connected it all up.

Tested out each of the cooling/heating positions and everything is working as needed, I come to test out the MAX A/C positions as seen in this http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/HVACTesting.pdf and in photo below, this is the only option that allows your under the passenger dashboard recirculation vent flap to Close and its not closing. About 3 minutes later it really really slowly started to close - which to me is not right.(Tested the pipes to make sure the retracting the diaphragm, forcing the recirculation vent flap closed and that worked just fine so we know that is not the problem)

I then noticed that the new vacuum pipe junction is not moving all the way down into the slot.

and I very gently moved it to as far as it could go into the slot

and as soon as I did that recirculation vent flap closed within 2 seconds - its working as it should!

I repeated this process using the levers and again the top lever just doesn't move the vacuum pipe junction far enough down to get the MAX A/C position to work as required and thus the recirculation vent flap would not close. Moved the vacuum pipe junction down gently again and recirculation vent flap closed within 2 seconds.

So the big question is the new unit broken, the top lever bent, the unit it all connects to out of alignment, at this point I have no idea. Anyone got any ideas?

I took a pic of the vacuum unit apart to give everyone good idea what these look like apart

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well after some playing around and simple solution I managed to fix my heating/cooling problems :) Two things I did in the end, I sanded down the top lever edge and slider end at bit and the lever then moved just enough to get the controller to bottom out and actually close the flap. Now I can spend some time this week doing the write ups and move onto finishing up other parts of cab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.