VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting my 2L ABA back together after having a piston meltdown, I went to start it, cranked right up but immeditly blew the oil filter gasket. I thought it was a bad filter, so I tried another one and blew that one too. I changed the oil pump and everything was fine, raced saturday night with no problems. Went to race today, strapped myself in, started it and blew the gasket again. A friend of fine who races a 944 gave me a Porsche filter because they run a much higher oil pressure. It held for a bit, took the green (lead the first lap) then Ka-bluey. Filter gasket went again
and now I have another meltdown on my hands. anyone know why this keeps happening?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Re: Blowing oil filter gasket (Scirocco61)

Not a good idea to put a higher pressure oil filter if you're having oil pressure problems. You will lose lubrication if you have too much oil pressure.
Is the oil filter pressure relief valve failing? Stuck closed?
Sounds like your oil pressure regulator valve is also stuck closed or failing, giving you the high oil pressure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Blowing oil filter gasket (baomo motorsports)

I'm just running the same oil filter that all the books call for except for the porsche one. I did replace the oil pump yesterday and raced last night with no problems, but now it's doing the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.