VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6,726 Posts
Re: (mr2guru)

Quote, originally posted by mr2guru »
smoke? like a lot? is it white?, blue?, does it smell sweet?
Probably just condensation in the cooler weather.

x2 for questions and for the provable cause
I dont know much but you can probably define by categorizing:
Color: Probable cause:
White: H20 or Coolant (condensation/blown headgasket)
Blue: Oil *bad turbo? valve seal?*
Sweet white: Coolant/blown headgasket. (you'll feel it on the back of ur throat, its a nasty sweet lol)
non sweet white: Water.

Modified by RafaGolfBr at 8:02 PM 11-24-2006

· Registered
893 Posts
Re: Blowing smoke at start up! (vdubwagen)

I agree with the other poster’ about the oil level. These yard monkeys that work at dealerships do not typically know or care about what they’re doing. In fact, while you’re at it, double-check everything else. I purchased a Jetta, Rabbit and Passat from the same dealership and none of them received a proper “true” PDI. They wash the windows, check off the list and there you have it. Still, I would have them take a look at it but if you can, watch them do it. Remember, each and every VW dealership is privately owned and they will cut corners to save costs whenever they can. Unfortunately, this is the reality of the car business. You are likely the only person who really cares about the quality of the service that car receives.
Regards,

· Registered
3,235 Posts
Re: (red64chevelle)

Quote, originally posted by red64chevelle »
Just a quick check. Look at your oil level. I noticed you both have 3.6 4motions, mine came overfilled by over a quart. I drained oil until the level was in the correct range, and have noticed that the smoking has been eliminated.

That'll do it since it is drawn back (oil) into the crankcase breather. have a quick check of the oil level and change level as needed. If it truly burning a lot of oil, then your dipstick will reflect that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.