VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i blew my differential 2 nights ago and i pulled it last night and there is 2 nice holes in the bell housing so im just going to but a new tranny i think. i am looking at a tranny out of an 03 beetle tdi... i know the gearing is different from my 00 02j but will it hurt me or help me? do anyone know about the max mph for each gear? i can pick it up for 450 bux... i thought it might help with gas mileage and keep me from shifting into 4th in the quater... if this is a stupid idea let me know and let me know what u think i should do... thanks!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Re: (screwball)

Quote, originally posted by screwball »
they're definitely different, i was just making a suggestion for dude.
** i think it was enginerd that did the euro tdi 6 spd swap, perhaps he'll have more info.

i know nerdhotrod did the euro tdi 6spd swap

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Re: blown diff! lookin for at tranny options (27psiBoom)

Nerdhotrod did the TDI tranny, he said the gearing is super high. probably wouldn't like it for 0 - 60 acceleation. Good for watkins glen road racing though.
I have a spreadsheet with a bunch of trannys the gearing/speeds all worked out if you want it. [email protected] ill send it out to you.

This could have been prevented with an LSD, or even a bolt kit. You don't really "blow the diff". The rivets that hold the ring gear to the diff brake and fly out like bullets. Whatever you decide to get you should do an lsd.
An o2j with an lsd will take some abuse up to ~270whp. I suggest cryo treating the gears. it's not snake oil as some people would have you believe. It is a legitimate process used by major auto makers. For heat treated carbon steel part (gears). I blew up 3rd gear on my first O2j. I've got more miles on my new box. I beleive the cryo is responsible.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: blown diff! lookin for at tranny options (enginerd)

that would be grat if u could send me that info... [email protected]com... some people have suggested to use vr6 gearing? im not trying to spend a ton of money but i dont want the some thing to happen.. do they make a bolt kit that replaces the plastic rivets with metal ones? i dont relly think i need a lsd i dont do much road racing.. and i dont have too many traction problems with my huge ko3 sport lol...
how would i go about getting an euro tdi tranny?
bill

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Re: blown diff! lookin for at tranny options (Boostin20v)

the euro tdi gearing is huge. I have the spec sheet around here in my desk, its in german but i can list it out. Lets just say its very very tall for a street car. drag racing i think 3rd gear at 7k was over 130.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.