VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed new 139db horn. The install is super easy and super clean. How ever I keep on blowing the fuse. I can honk 2-3 times and then 10 amp fuse blows. I checked if there is a short in the system 10 times. Everything is fine.
Does any one have any ideas why fuse keep on blowing? My neighbor says just stick 15amp fuse in there, but I don't think its a good idea. What you guys think is the problem?
Faba
rule#1

PS I have tones of pics from istallation. As soon as I feagure out what is the problem Ill post the istall guide.
Thanks
Faba
PS2 oh I used 16 guage wire instead of 18 on the positive. I dont know if this is important, and the horn istalled on 05 matrix.

Modified by Faba at 7:03 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Blown fuse on 139db horn. (synthsis)

Quote, originally posted by synthsis »
loose ground?

checked solidely secured to the frame. I also grinded the pain under the nut. I got a pic. just got to find a place to host it.

Faba
here it is
Modified by Faba at 7:07 PM 9-8-2005

Modified by Faba at 7:17 PM 9-8-2005

Modified by Faba at 9:53 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
3,604 Posts
Re: Blown fuse on 139db horn. (Faba)

Up the fuse, but watch the wires. If nothing is shorting out, then you are drawing too much current and the 10A fuse can't support it.
You may need to upgrade the wires to 14 gauge or to stay safe maybe even 12 gauge. Upgrade both the power and ground wires!

· Registered
338 Posts
Re: Blown fuse on 139db horn. (Faba)

Holy picture size!
Resize that thing.
But anyways, try using a relay and power the horns directly from the battery using whatever gauge wire you want along with an inline fuse.
Then use your stock horn wiring as the switch for the relay.
That way, you dont have to rewire your car.
I used some 12 gauge wire for my 118db Hella Supertones which is over kill but it works.

Modified by M12 at 7:17 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
3,252 Posts
use a relay and pull the power directly off the battery. Your horn is drawing too much current. The stock horn needs less than your fuse and your new one needs more. Increasing the fuse will work, but you may damage the wiring harness, which would suck. So just use a relay.

Modified by poopy_pants at 3:11 PM 9-8-2005

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.