VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well friday night and sat morning i drove my car, ran fine, i met airwater98 and chatted with him for a while and he even said its running good and i just needed a belt tensioner, so saturday night i start my car to go out and the rpms come up and then it stalls and CEL and battery lights come on....ok i start it again and the battery light flickers then shuts off and the idle is a bit rough but calms down, but i notice its blowing A LOT of white smoke so i pulled it outside really quick and shut it off, theres NO coolant what so ever left in the reservior and the car is low on oil again, im guessing its the head gasket? i figured that by the combination of no coolant + white smoke....i have no idea how it happened, the last time i drove the car it was perfectly fine

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Re: Blown head gasket???? (1SickWhtDub)

That sucks...but on the bright side, you won't have to drain the coolant when you pull the head!

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Blown head gasket???? (FatSean)

Quote, originally posted by FatSean »
That sucks...but on the bright side, you won't have to drain the coolant when you pull the head!

haha for real, and also the car has a ported head and port matched intake manifold but also a copper head gasket, so when i put the stock head gasket back on it will make more power

it shouldnt be that bad, i've pulled 2.0's out of my old car so im sure a GLX head wont be to bad

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Blown head gasket???? (1SickWhtDub)

my dad sat me down and asked if we should take it to a mechanic and have it done, and i told him he was crazy im doing it myself....to save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and also get familiar with the motor itself, he also said when he moved it yesterday when he pulled it back in the garage when he shut it off there was a weird sound like there was a bunch of air getting let out of the motor, im guessing that was it, i just hope the head isnt cracked/warped

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (billiethebutcher)

<~~~~~~~~look to the left.........im in CT man, im also doing it myself i already ordered the parts...do i have to take the cams off? etc etc any help/tips will be appreciated

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Eric D)

i ordered a Bently along with plugs and the head gasket set from German Auto Parts today, everything will be here tomorrow http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
i love that place, anyways all the coolant IS still there, the first time i looked it was dark and the shadow cast over it made it seem like there was none, anyways, it JUST happened car was running for maybe 5 minutes total after it happened, havent started the car since, and i started to take it apart already

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (1SickWhtDub)

been taking it apart, head is almost ready to come off, i have to drain the coolant, set the motor to TDC, exhaust manifold, injectors etc, and the camshaft sprockets/chains, it will be off by thursday night the latest and brought to Momentum Tuning friday http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: (1SickWhtDub)

Quote, originally posted by 1SickWhtDub »
F it, car is being trailered to Momentum Tuning

what happened?

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (alchu)

Quote, originally posted by alchu »

what happened?

nothing really im just sick of working on it, more and more stuff was happening that i couldnt control and it wasnt a long enough break since my old 2.0 broke and i spend months fixing that
i'll just pay someone else to do it and ill just pick the car up, besides momentum tuning is a really really good shop, i mean c'mon mid-engine rear wheel drive mkII gti......thats just insanity!!!!! i love it!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts