VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reciently blew my radio fuse (last one in bank on '95 Golf III). I did this by getting the cig lighter jammed on accident. Oddly enough, the radio still worked even though the fuse was blown, it kept working even with the fuse pulled out.
I noticed that the tweeters were emitting a crackiling noise ever since the cig lighter jammed into the hole. I just replaced the fuse and have not noticed it yet (only played for about 5 minutes). Is this what was causing the noise, or should I keep looking?
Also, why the hell does the radio work, if the fuse is blown, or pulled out entirely?!
10A fuse

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Blown Radio fuse = Crackling sound when radio played loud? (Pagano)

Ok, I answered one question myself by rethinking this over, my new headunit (Alpine 7873) has a direct power line to the battery, and then the switching is controlled by the accessory switch, so the radio fuse no longer works the radio, but rather the accessory...correct?
If thats the case, why did the radio make a crackling noise in the treble with the radio fuse blown - if it has nothing to do with the radio (or does it still)? I played a few tracks that I knew for a fact were crackling, but that has stopped completely now. I'm simply curious at this point.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Re: Blown Radio fuse = Crackling sound when radio played loud? (Pagano)

The radio should not work with the fuse out.You must have the continous 12v for the radio connected directly to the battery.Switched 12v from the acc will not be enough to keep the hu on.You have to have both continous and switched 12v.
As for the crackling in the tweets, you may have a bad ground on the radio or the amplifier.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Blown Radio fuse = Crackling sound when radio played loud? (MADBUG)

Has worked w/o flaw for 2 weeks now. Turns off when keys out, turns on with key in. The only problem was when the fuse blew the crackling started, but it still turned on and off. I commute daily to work so the HU is on for over 35 minutes at a clip and has been on longer when I went on a 60 minute drive the other day. It worked w/o a problem (this is prior to fuse blowing).
*Edit:
Soldered ground connection to 10AWG wire, which is in turn connected to one of the bolts on my steering column bracket.

[Modified by Pagano, 7:52 PM 12-6-2001]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts