VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma i need to get figured out! I was taking off my ko4 to replace the turbo to manifold gasket which wqas leaking and found that the manifold is cracked(stupid cast). I cant get one of the manifold nuts`loose due to tight spot and stripped nut. Would a blowtorch to the stupid nut get the thing loose or am i sh!t out of luck?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Re: BLOWTORCH! (adema69)

I think something a lot easier then having to blowtorch it off (and much safer) is to go to the store and either:
a) get a nut splitter, a lot work very well, but i have a snap-on one that does the job every time.
b) get a nice set of chisels and break it off.
Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Re: (adema69)

Quote, originally posted by adema69 »
can i just use a drill and drill through it?

If you can get in there go for it, but you're going to have to replace the stud.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Re: BLOWTORCH! (adema69)

I dont know if you can get some vice grips back there, maybe a heat it up and then get it with the vice grips
as for the drill, if you can drill just the nut off and leave the stud in good condition, thats an option

Modified by leroy92 at 8:44 AM 8-16-2009

·
Registered
775 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by leroy92 »
I dont know if you can get some vice grips back there, maybe a heat it up and then get it with the vice grips
as for the drill, if you can drill just the nut off and leave the stud in good condition, thats an option

torch and vice-grips, with a can of zep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.