VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a good match for the Westy GTI blue interior color found on the dash/console/cards/etc. I've accumulated perhaps a half-dozen different rattle cans so far; the closest thing is Colormatch Dark Blue, but there's some metal flake in it (since it's intended as exterior paint). Home Depot is useless.
Anyone find the magic paint code?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: Blue GTI interior color match? (Rockhead261)

i just painted my consul in my gti midnight blue lacquer paint that I bought from Advance auto. The color was not a perfect match but was very close. I don't know how this is going to hold up but it appears that it will. I was happy with the match.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts

I had the same problem matching the GTI blue. It's very dark.
My window cranks were black replacements, so here's what I did:
I sprayed them blue with Krylon Fusion Blue. It bonds great to plastic but it's way too blue.
To compensate, as soon as I sprayed the blue, I misted the part with black Krylon Fusion from several feet away, moving every which way and fast, until the blue was as dark as it should be. I did this next to an old blue GTI seat belt socket so I could use the right amount of black till the color was perfect. It takes very little black, and it must be misted from very far away, or else you'll just end up painting the part black.
It's really hard to tell it was ever done.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Re: Blue GTI interior color match? (echassin)

Care to post a pic? Fusion is pretty good stuff, but isn't necessary. If you prep your part and spray with a good adhesion promoter, any quality paint should stick.
I've misted SEM "Midnight Blue" over a black base coat, and have been happy. I have pics in my A-pillar and sub enclosure thread. Center console pics should be up soon....
One thing I've realized is there are so many variations in the blue that a perfect match isn't 100% necessary. All of the hard plastic & vinyl parts in my GTI are a little different than each other.
-Todd

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Blue GTI interior color match? (ToddA1)

Quote, originally posted by ToddA1 »
I've misted SEM "Midnight Blue" over a black base coat, and have been happy.

Blue over black - I would not have thought of that. All the blues I seem to get end up being too blue/purple. I'm gonna try blue over black and see what happens http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,897 Posts

Care to post a pic? Fusion is pretty good stuff, but isn't necessary.
-Todd

I used Fusion only because I heard it was strong. I also did my seat belt sockets (they were originally red), and I didn't want the paint chipping when the steel seat belt hits the area near the socket's slot.
For aesthetic trim pieces, I'm sure mists of any paint type would hold up fine (not so thick it could flake). I had some luck doing blue over black, but found black over blue made the color easier to fine tune, at least with the Fusion paint.
Pics:

Obviously, my goal is to hunt down real pieces, but in the meantime these do the trick.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts

The parts look good.... I'll have to give your technique a try.
For the black, did you use gloss, satin or the ultra flat?
-Todd

·
Registered
9,897 Posts

For the black, did you use gloss, satin or the ultra flat?
-Todd

I don't recall, but I don't think it matters: the can is so far from the part that the amount of black deposited is miniscule. I bet it's dry before it hits the part, and I think the only reason it sticks is that I mist the black while the blue is still wet.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rockhead261 »
I'm gonna try blue over black and see what happens

What happened?
Quote, originally posted by echassin »
I had some luck doing blue over black, but found black over blue made the color easier to fine tune, at least with the Fusion paint

I tried your technique and didn't like the result I got. I didn't use the Fusion blue, though. I had/used the SEM blue and misted Fusion Ultra Flat Black and it turned a blue/gray. Guess I should get the Fusion blue or stick with what I know.
The misting from a distance also produced a slightly rough, lint-like texture.
-Todd

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

What happened?

The same thing that happened when I went over the stock blue - I got purple

I think the bottom line is going to be taking the pieces to a body shop and having the color matched.

·
Registered
831 Posts

one product that i highly recommend is called "SEM colorcoat"
i actually painted my midnight blue dash black haha, and its a really tough and durable paint. it has a couple stages to the process, so its a little time consuming but its an excellent product

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.