VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 camper that I bought recently and it is smoking. I know blue smoke is oil burning, but the smoke is not coming from the exhaust, which is nice and clean. Rather, it is just wafting out from under the engine with no obvious source. The engine is very dirty and oily, and Air cooled Veedubs tend to run hot, so could this just be the grime on the engine burning off? Or do I have something to worry about here? It doesn't smoke at first starting, just once it has been running for a while. I've affectionately named this bus "The female puppy dog", for my difficulties in getting it to pass inspection, so any good advice or moral support is appreciated.
Eric

· Registered
20,566 Posts
Re: Blue smoke but NOT from exhaust (volksie)

Sounds like the pretty common problem with leaking valve covers. The oil drips from there an on to the heater boxes, causing smoke. Replace the valve cover gaskets, adjust the vaves while youre in there, and clean it thoroughly afterwards.
The best way to clean the heater boxes is to first put om something that will dissolve the oil, and then use a high pressure water hose, preferably with hot water, if that is possible.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Blue smoke but NOT from exhaust (PerL)

thanks for your reply, I spent the afternoon with a putty knife scraping off old greasy schmutz from under the engine and then I am going to spray it down with gunk and some light powerwashing. Hopefully it will do the trick.
Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.