VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 470 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60, 2019 GTI 6MT
1,883 Posts
Re: Bluetooth Steering wheel controls (bluechair)

Quote, originally posted by bluechair »
http://www.parrotkits.com/steeringwheel.html
Has anyone used this kit?
Here they have a DIY for installing on an A4...
Do you think it would work for our mk5's?
You can get the harness for $174 and you can get the parrot CK3000 for 99 bucks at some places... I'm ready to do it if you guys think it will work.

I'd be really interested in it, as long as it uses the factory location for mic and interfaces with the stereo and all that good stuff. I wonder how the OEM bluetooth integration works in Europe... does information (besides "PHONE") get displayed in the MFD? Radio? Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Re: (bluechair)

Yeah, I did contact them, I was just wondering if anyone has tried it. They said it will work and they even sent me the directions for how the thing works. I think I will either order it tomorrow or the next day. $300 is alot for this kit, but I think it will be worth it.

Keep us informed. If it works I'll also be ordering the kit.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Re: (fleuger99)

I think you could save yourseves some major $$ by looking for the Parrot CK3100 install in the DIY thread. You should be able to get the harness for about half of the $175 figure you posted above, and I know from experience that there are scads of CK3000 and CK3100 kits for sale on ebay.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2606020

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Re: (bluechair)

This is more than the standard harness and CK3000 . It allows you to use the steering wheel controls to answer and navigate the menus.

Ah. That would explain the extra $$.

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60, 2019 GTI 6MT
1,883 Posts
Re: (jmj)

Quote, originally posted by jmj »
I think you could save yourseves some major $$ by looking for the Parrot CK3100 install in the DIY thread. You should be able to get the harness for about half of the $175 figure you posted above, and I know from experience that there are scads of CK3000 and CK3100 kits for sale on ebay.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2606020

I'd really like the OEM fit & finish without adding more (visible) stuff to my car. The steering wheel has a button, why not use it? Also like to wire up the OEM mic to the overhead console by the lights so it's nice and OEM+

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,498 Posts
Glad you brought that up......

.....the Australian vendor is promising imminent photos and a write-up for a MkV GTI - I believe the install was scheduled for last weekend.
Paser IT has been notoriously slow in responding. I got one message back in very poor English saying that I'd get a response "soon."
One thing to note with the Parrotkits part is that it does not appear to be an official Parrot part and the same piece seems to function for several types of cars, using dipswitches to set the interface to the type of car. I've asked a contact at Parrot in France about this interface earlier today. They usually take a few days to respond, but have been very helpful in the past.
The Paser unit appears to be bit more elegant and of better construction. I asked a BMW dealer in Germany who has sold them and he was quite impressed. He has not used the Parrotkits part though, so a direct comparison isn't possible yet.
There is a link on the Parrotkits website to an Audiworld post about the install. While the physical install seems straightforward, the dipswitch setting and "push the button until you see this sequence of lights" reminds m of the horrors of early PC modems that we used to call plug-and-pray - not plug-and-play. I just cant see myself folded up into a pretzel shape under the dash trying to push a teeny button to flashing lights.
The fact that the Audiworld post was, de-facto, written for the vendor is a bit suspect as well - especially given the "initial problems resolved by the vendor."
Either way, though, I think that we are very close to finding a solution for this.
I wonder if LC will be this easy......

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I tried to contact Paser as well.

Howard at parrotkits seems very nice. Although he is a vendor. He also told me that there is a 30 day money back guarentee for this thing. So , If I don't like it I can always send it back I figure for the extra 100 bucks If it doesn't work, I can take the hit. It was worth the shot.
The programming of the little box doesn't actually look all that hard. All you have to do is set the dip switches and press the little button until the led blinks 4 times...
I'm actually pretty stoked about this. I'm pretty scread about the install though. I hope its just as easy as plugging these things in the right way.
Its already shipped! I'll update you guys when I get it installed.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,498 Posts
I contacted Howard as well......

....and directed him to this thread so he would know why he was hetting inquiries. Here is part of his email response:
"Hi Charles,
I finished reading that thread and you have really done your homework - so perhaps you won't mind me mentioning a few thoughts. Paser appears to be selling the old steering wheel controller. I think you will see a striking resemblance of our old controller to the Paser - see attached images of the old VB MB version and the new SW100C version. Your fit and finish comment is inaccurate because they are both made by the same OEM company
In fact, the new SW100C interface uses surface mount components and has been reduced in size. The dip switches on the new design have worked well and the pushbutton flashes just set the CAN bus interface to match the steering wheel configuration - so you no longer have to hard program the steering wheel type (some cars had 3 different steering wheel button configuration for the same model year and we had to send back the unit for reprogramming on the old MB model).
As for the Audi owner who wrote that nice article, I have no affiliation other than he is a customer. His initial "getting things working" was related to the harness being remade for the Audi Symphony 2 radio. His suggestion had the manufacturer revise the Audi CP100M harness to include the mute pin in the harness without messing with a separate freestanding pin. The new Audi harness for the SW100C we just received is much nicer
Now, all that said, technology is progressing in this area and is not perfect. I think it is great that the vendor has worked hard to make an interface which can give "factory-like" bluetooth to these cars when the manufacturer drags its feet. But it is true that a harness occasionally doesn't work in a particular installation. Since we don't manufacture this SW100C interface ourselves, we can try to help as best we can by communicating with the manufacturer if there is a glitch. I think our products are reasonably priced and we do offer a money back guarantee on all our harnesses as a backup."
I'm still waiting for a response from Paser and have another inquiry out there to the maker of the Nokia interface. I'm hoping that we'll get a working unit out there soon....

1 - 20 of 470 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.