VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few photos from yesterday's Autocross. This is my car, being driven by my co-driver Eric Carman while I was waiting for my turn to run. We essentially dessimated all the other cars yesterday. He took fastest time of the day and I was right behind him. Other cars there were a Viper RT/10, a handful of Porsche Boxsters and 944 Turbos, a bunch of Vettes including Z06's a few modified Subaru WRX's and a bunch of other cars. Not too shabby for a 1981 VW Scirocco with only about 110hp.
Anyway... on to the photos. I used my D30 with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 attached. I forgot my monopod, so all of these are hand-held.

1/200s f/10.0 at 175.0mm

1/100s f/10.0 at 146.0mm

1/200s f/10.0 at 175.0mm

1/640s f/4.5 at 135.0mm

Modified by B3VR6 at 11:07 AM 5-5-2003

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Re: BMC AutoX in DE Sunday - Scirocco took FTD! (B3VR6)

That's HOT
. I miss autox my 88 16v scirocco. There are 2 guys with 84 8v that autox by me and they always run fast. Good luck the rest of the year. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,361 Posts

Beautiful pictures Ian!! I was wondering why you guys weren't at Rosecroft yesterday.. I can't wait to see how she compares to some of the FSP competition at Petersburg!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Watching Eric drive is a lesson in smoothness.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: BMC AutoX in DE Sunday - Scirocco took FTD! (Mhyrr)

Thanks Greg! We always have a blast at these BMC events, so it's a yearly ritual now. We got less runs than the last time.. only 5 for the day though.. .in the past it was like 8 or 10. The weird thing was that they broke it up into 2 sessions. The first session we only got 2 runs before an hour break while the other run group went. I wasn't too keen on letting my tire temps drop all the way back down again...

·
Registered
4,361 Posts

What are the BMC events? Anywhere you get 5-10 runs is a great place!!

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

NNJR SCCA is typically running 6-8 runs a day
nasa northeast gets 8 timed runs with 1-2 half-speed practice laps at every event!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Hey Ian!
Great pics. Beautiful car. Fast times!
I can't wait to hear how you and Eric do at the Petersburg ProSolo! I'm kinda bummed we're not going this year, but it just doesn't make sense since we were still running the Subaru at the Ft Myers ProSolo.
Now you just gotta get Eric to quit screwing around with Hondas and actually buy a VW...

Neal

·
Registered
37,522 Posts
Re: BMC AutoX in DE Sunday - Scirocco took FTD! (SUV-ETR)

Where was this event run in DE? I didn't think anything was closer to me other than Philly or much further south.
How did you get historic plates on an 81? I thought the cutoff was 25 years in MD?
Any way, nice car!

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: BMC AutoX in DE Sunday - Scirocco took FTD! (need_a_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by need_a_VR6 »
How did you get historic plates on an 81? I thought the cutoff was 25 years in MD?

From what I know, it was a bit of an ordeal to do..
Neal, the Rocco won't be at Petersburg?? I was kind of looking forward to seeing it.. shucks.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It's only 21 years if the car is no longer in production. Since no Sciroccos are still made we qualified. We did have to show 'proof.' VWoA didn't have the documentation so they sent out to Wolfsburg Germany and 4 weeks later we had the information needed. After that, no problemo.
The only VW I don't think would qualify would be an early 80's Jetta... since they still produce 'Jettas'. The Golf was called a Rabbit here in the US, so you might be able to get away with it for one of those.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts

Ian, later this year if I end up with a rocco, can I borrow that information you got? Or does it not work like that?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote, originally posted by Mhyrr »
Ian, later this year if I end up with a rocco, can I borrow that information you got? Or does it not work like that?

I'll have to check with Ike to see if he saved it. Unfortunately though, I believe the document needs to have the car's VIN number printed on it...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Re: BMC AutoX in DE Sunday - Scirocco took FTD! (need_a_VR6)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif keep up the great work fellas. There is nothing greater than hearing good news from the home front.

icandigit,
thomas

Modified by the12for12 at 9:42 AM 5-10-2003

·
Super Moderator
'20 R1250 GSA, '17 Alltrak SEL, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,394 Posts
Re: BMC AutoX in DE Sunday - Scirocco took FTD! (sportruck81)

Yay! Great pictures Ian.... love to see that Scirocco love....

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Great Pictures - http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts