VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I installed my BMC CDA and NGP hardpipe. For those unfamiliar with the aforementioned products, the BMC CDA is a replacement intake that consists of a large filter contained in a carbon fiber body. The New German Performance hardpipe is a tubular metal intake pipe meant to be used in conjunction with the BMC CDA.
The install was pretty straight-forward except that I couldn't figure out how to get the battery out. After I got it out, I took VR6Kid's advice and removed the headlight access panel for further ease. I'm very anal when it comes to modding my cars. I keep all the stock parts and try not to destroy anything. So when I found out that the NGP hardpipe wanted to take up the same space as another part behind the headlight, I studied it closely because after talking to another Vortex'r about this project and reading about how they cut the part I wanted to make sure there wasn't another way. So...for those doing this same procedure, you will need to remove a useless part from behind the headlight. It is the part that the original intake pipe snaps to. It is attached to the rear of the headlight area with three fasteners. They are the kind that have the center that you have to push out to release the tension. Two are easy to get to, the third has to be accessed by reaching up from underneath the front bumper. The piece the easily comes out and the hardpipe now has a nice area to rest in.
For those who dis' the BMC for no sound evidently have never seen/heard one with a hard intake pipe instead of the dryer hose. It has a nice but odd intake sound. Maybe because I'm new to the 1.8T, but it sounds like a cross between a dentist's drill and a hairdryer and there is a very noticable DV sound. I have already gotten quite a few "what the hell is that?" looks from pedestrians and they really look confused when they see my wagon

It not only sounds good, but I think there might be at least a little extra power or at least it has help breathing a bit. Now I understand that this isn't the most scientific test ever, , but what I have based my before/after opinion on is the cars ability to accelerate from 60mph in 5th gear. Before, the car would but did it pretty leisurely. Now it seems to accelerate very smoothly and steadily from 60mph on up. Again, not exactly scientific and no real hard facts, but it does at least 'seem' better. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: BMC CDA w/NGP hardpipe install with some new tips for others (Lucky Luciano)

Nice write-up... I'm wanting to know who or where can I get the BMC/CDA from... Adrenalin doesn't have stock, is there any other dealer?
3vw

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: BMC CDA w/NGP hardpipe install with some new tips for others (rub-a-vee-dub)

TripleVW- Not sure where to buy it from. I got mine from the infamous Ralf and his "Race Store" during the big coil-over scandal in Dec/Jan. I guess I got lucky because I got charged for the parts and they actually shipped them too.
rub-a-vee-dub- Call (410)994-0000 and ask for Dave. He'll know what part you're talking about. Mine was around $90 with the pipe, silicon coupler, and clamp.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Re: BMC CDA w/NGP hardpipe install with some new tips for others (AxeAngel)

I also have the BMC and NGP hardpipe. It is quite loud. It basically sounds like a deep BOV inside a pipe. It's cool because it isn't just a "PSSHT!" really fast, you can hear all of the air going down the pipe.
Great product(s).
Patrick

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Re: BMC CDA w/NGP hardpipe install with some new tips for others (sir_not_appearing)

So Nick, just one quick question. This NGP hardpipe goes to the stock location, right. Just would like to make sure before calling Dave. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Re: BMC CDA w/NGP hardpipe install with some new tips for others (bigmacf1)

The hard pipe goes just a little lower into the wheel well area then the stock pipe goes should work out nice as the weather starts to warm up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Re: BMC CDA w/NGP hardpipe install with some new tips for others (AxeAngel)

Thats the one .Im glad some other people are getting to enjoy this addition to the BMC .Im hooked on the combo you cant beat the sound and looks of this combo lets face it that ugly little 1.8t can use all the help it can get in the looks department.If this mod works or not you will have to try it out on the highway to find out Dynos just dont seem to do CAI justice.
quote:[HR][/HR]didnt fred plan that piece?
20silvrgti?[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: BMC CDA w/NGP hardpipe install with some new tips for others (bigmacf1)

bigmacF1 - Yes, it leads to the stock position, but there is one catch. There is a plastic bracket that holds the original plastic pip in place that needs to be remove. This can either be done by cutting (not recommended) or if you are anal about you mods like me, there are three small fasteners that hold it into place. From there, you are ready to install the NGP pipe. To make this whole project easier, make sure to remove the battery.
One Dub Nut No, Triumph doesn't make cars anymore. However, they still make motorcycles. Have you ever seen "Mission Impossible 2"? Both bikes in the last battle sequence are Triumphs. Tom Cruise rides a Speed Triple and the bad guy drives a Daytona exactly like mine. If you want to take a gander try http://www.triumph.co.uk
20VsilvrGTI Has your BMC ever caused you to throw a MIL? Mine came on yesterday after 200 miles of the BMC on the car. I don't know if it is related or not. I don't have time to take it to the dealer this week, so I'll have someone check it at the GTG in Columbus, OH this weekend (BTW, the car is still running as hard as normal, but the light came on) Just wondered if you had ever had problems.
[Modified by sir_not_appearing, 8:21 AM 4-10-2002]

[Modified by sir_not_appearing, 8:28 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Re: BMC CDA w/NGP hardpipe install with some new tips for others (sir_not_appearing)

Thanks for the information, Nick.
FYI, I have my BMC CDA on my car since 9100km. It is now over 17000km and there is not CEL yet (hopefully not). Hope your CEL is not caused by the BMC CDA. I heard that locally there is an incident that the AEM CAI causes CEL too, eventually caused damaged to ECM, need to be replaced. But don't know why.

[Modified by bigmacf1, 9:36 PM 4-11-2002]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.