VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, this topic has been beaten to death regarding drop-in filters, and no, I am not looking for extreme HP gains. I was shopping for a drop-in replacement filter and I wanted more info on the BMC and K&N filter comparison, but since could not find much info on our cars comparing these filters, I decided to buy both and compare them to see which filter I would prefer. Keep in mind, I ultimately prefer OEM filters if your car is stock (mine is), I just wanted a high-flow drop-in filter for the winter time for the extra sound improvement and little (if any) HP gain...even if it is just 2-5hp. :p

Car: 2016 LSG Golf R 6MT
Mods: Stock, only air filter snow grate removed from the stock OEM airbox

OEM Filter: $22 (Local Dealer)
BMC Filter: $97 (Amazon.com)
K&N Filter: $52 (Amazon.com

First of all, the quality of the K&N filter was absolutely terrible. See the pics below of the uneven molding throughout the filter area, but more importantly, the excess molding on the top layer of the filter that has the potential to break off and get sucked into the turbo and engine. Not good at all!!! Also, I do not have the time nor funds to do a dyno test to see what filter gains the most HP, if I was looking for that much more HP, I would rather invest that dyno money into a JB1.

Sound
BMC vs K&N - BMC filter is slightly louder on induction noise than the K&N.
BMC vs OEM - BMC filter has a much more noticeable induction noise over the OEM filter.
K&N vs OEM - K&N filter has a much more noticeable induction noise over the OEM filter.

Performance
BMC vs K&N - No major improvement in power of the BMC over the K&N. Seems dead even on top end performance near redline.
BMC vs OEM - No major improvement in power. Noticeable top end breathing improvement.
K&N vs OEM - No major improvement in power. Noticeable top end breathing improvement.

Quality
BMC vs K&N - Much better build quality over the K&N. Larger filtering surface area over the K&N. BMC fits in the OEM airbox perfectly. K&N filter pretty much fails the quality department. Very disappointed in the pictures of the uneven molding and the excess mold pieces on the top layer of the filter. It does seat well in the OEM airbox, but the filtering area is smaller than the BMC filter.
BMC vs OEM - OEM quality is the best, as it always will be. OEM filter will outperform any aftermarket filter in terms of filtering capabilities. The BMC is still excellent in this regard.
K&N vs OEM - OEM exceeds K&N quality in every way.

Conclusion
In the end, the sound and quality improvement of the BMC over the K&N led me to choose the BMC filter overall. The K&N suffered from a lack of build quality and smaller surface area of the filter. This is disappointing since I have used K&N filters on many of my previous cars (2005 350Z, 2008 M3, 2014 Subaru WRX, etc...) but for my Golf R, the pictures speak for themselves. The power difference is negligible, probably no more than a 5HP gain over the OEM filter for both filters, but the quality of the BMC filter was fantastic as well as the sound improvement. Maybe I got a bad K&N filter, but in the end, the BMC came out on top. I hope this helps anyone else in the future who is looking for a bit more info on this subject.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You acknowledge the OEM filter is the best (I agree with this BTW) so I don't get why you would even consider paying considerably more money for either of these filters as both will allow considerably more dirt into your intake and no performance benefit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You acknowledge the OEM filter is the best (I agree with this BTW) so I don't get why you would even consider paying considerably more money for either of these filters as both will allow considerably more dirt into your intake and no performance benefit.
See the last sentence in the first paragraph in my post...again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.