VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
17,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it is all-electric, so it doesn't need as big of a grille. :p

It will become Bavaria’s answer to the Mercedes-Benz EQS and the Jaguar XJ.

BMW is not investing in a bespoke flagship electric sedan, unlike Mercedes-Benz which is working on the EQS, a vehicle that’s totally different compared to the new soon-to-be-revealed S-Class. Bavaria’s answer to the EQS, and other bespoke luxury electric sedans like the upcoming Jaguar XJ, will just be a different version of the upcoming 7 Series, caught here by our spies under camouflage.

Regarding the next-gen 7 Series’ design, it appears to adopt an evolutionary approach, although it looks a bit more rounded and sculptural than the current car. It also appears to retain the oversized grille, which has sparked a lot of controversy; BMW is standing its ground on the big grille, so we’ll have to see if the finished product looks as bad it does on the current model.

The electric version of the future 7 Series, which may or may not be called i7, will differ from a visual standpoint compared to other models in the range. BMW may choose to differentiate it more than it’s done when it created the iX3 based on the X3 SUV; comparing the look of the i4 with that of the ICE versions of the new 4 Series gives you another idea of what BMW might do.

Our spies tell us that to them, the electric 7 has a bit more of a ‘ shark nose ‘ look to the front, but since this car doesn’t have the final front or rear lights on (the are most likely placeholders on this prototype), we can’t be sure. The EV version of the 7 Series will certainly have different front and rear fascias, but we just don’t know who different they’ll be.

What we can see in the spy photos is the front sensor array which is placed in a small recess above the grille, as well as cameras on the sides (rear-facing, located in the front fenders) and BMW has also integrated a camera into the shark fin aerial placed in the rear part of the roof. The two rear-facing cameras may possibly be there to replace traditional mirrors, but since this is a prototype, it has both.

Oh, and it also has pop-out door handles that will sit flush with the body. These may or may not be exclusive to the electric 7, although we believe all versions of the car will get them.

Right now we don’t have any information on battery pack size, possible range or performance figures, but we do expect it to be a competitive model in all those areas (a range of around 400 miles seems about right. It is believed that the 7 Series EV, due out in 2022, could have up to 650 horsepower and act as the flagship model in the range, since the current V12-powered model won’t get a direct replacement.

BMW may offer more than one variant, though, with one or two motors, varying power levels and possibly different size battery packs too.

Look, Ma. There's an unusully small BMW Grille!

https://insideevs.com/news/434332/bmw-7series-i7-ev-prototype-spy-shots/

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Next-generation BMW 7 Series spied in electric and hybrid forms

The electric version might be called i7

The next-generation BMW 7 Series flagship luxury sedan has been spied with quite minimal camouflage. It looks sharper and leaner than the current model with very traditional sedan proportions. Stickers on the prototypes also show both hybrid and fully electric versions, and the latter could be called i7.

The most striking angle of this new 7 Series model is the profile. Unlike the rounded current model, this car has straight edges and sharp corners, particularly in the greenhouse. These crisp lines highlight the sedan shape of the 7 Series, with clear distinction where the rear pillar ends and the trunk begins. The Hofmeister Kink in the rear pillar is more subtle, too.

At the front, the headlights seem to sit quite low in the front fascia, helping the rest of the nose look low, too. It does look like the 7 Series will have a sizable twin-kidney grille, though not quite as prominent as that on the 4 Series coupe. The tail doesn't look particularly remarkable, but it does seem to have a subtle lip to the trunk lid, and slender taillights. A distinct difference between the electric and hybrid versions is the presence of exhaust tips on the hybrid.

With the current 7 Series having just been refreshed for the 2020 model year, we don't think we'll see the new version revealed for another couple of years. Though it's possible BMW could reveal and launch the electric version ahead of the gas-powered versions. That variant could be called i7 to fit in with past electric BMWs, and to match the upcoming i4, which itself looks like it might be an electric 4 Series Gran Coupe. We would expect the hybrid 7 Series shown to be a plug-in like what's available on the current 7. The regular gas-powered version will likely get turbo straight-six and twin-turbo V8 versions.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/03/bmw-7-series-ev-hybrid-spy-photos/

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Do we all finally go and protest outside their HQ? If this concept is legit, this design is a crime against humanity.

- - - Updated - - -

Do we all finally go and protest outside their HQ? If this concept is legit, this design is a crime against humanity.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The OP really don't make any sense. It's not a mule, once it's in the final body. This was designed last year anyway, so it's not surprising.

G70 Final Design was signed off apparently in early 2019, as the LCI G11 made its debut. First mules were spotted last November:

Enters production in Q3 2022.

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring, 1974 Bmw 2500
3,850 Posts
What a hilarious design. Just when you thought they had reach their peak in ugliness, BMW somehow find a way to just up its game. I'm really looking forward to see where they take their design after this monstrosity. :laugh:

·
Registered
6,582 Posts

BMW i7 Electric Sedan To Have 300-Mile Range, 500+ HP: Report

It’ll compete against the Mercedes EQS.

Getting the full rundown of the all-electric BMW i7 hasn’t been easy. The German automaker isn’t interested in spilling the details before the car is ready, but few things can stay a secret in the internet age. UK’s Car magazine has a scoop that details many of the i7’s aspects we’ve only heard rumors about, like its range and output, and the latest bit of rumors from the publication paints a very exciting picture.

According to Car, BMW will slip a 100-kilowatt-hour battery into the i7 that’ll give the top-tier all-electric luxury sedan more than 300 miles of range. The publication also reported that the i7 would feature a pair of electric motors, powering all four wheels, that’ll deliver 536 horsepower (399 kilowatts). Previous rumors suggested that the model could produce as much as 650 hp (484 kW), more than the M760i’s 6.6-liter V12; however, that’s still possible if the company has high-performance plans for the model, which seems likely as it will compete against the Mercedes EQS.

The EQS, Mercedes’ i7 equivalent, could spawn a hotter AMG model with over 600 hp (477 kW), which would be better aligned with the rumored 650-hp i7, though it’s far too early to determine what either is planning in the high-performance department. BMW will also pair the i7 with a bevy of safety features and semi-self-driving technologies as BMW positions its EVs as technological powerhouses, which is similar to how Mercedes is selling its EVs.

While the BMW i7 will compete against the Mercedes EQS and other electric sedans, it will arrive late to the party by comparison. Mercedes is further along in developing the EQS, which is expected to arrive for the 2022 model year. The BMW i7 will be a bit further behind, likely debuting in 2022 as a 2023 model, giving Mercedes an early start. However, a lot can change between now and then.

·
Registered
50,285 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Enormous nose and tiny trunk. Is the front a frunk so it has decent cargo capacity?

I doubt the trunk is tiny. Maybe the opening isn't the same as a 1970's Cutlass, but just look at where the backseat is and it's plenty deep, plenty tall, and plenty wide. Nevertheless, the Germans thus far have not frunks in these vehciles are they're shared with the ICE counterparts. I agree that it's a nice to have.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts