VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

201 - 220 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Holy clearance Batman - are you gonna be able to squeeze a downpipe in there, or does this kind of setup require a hood exit?
it looks worse than it is. hood dump is the easy solution but i plan to run full exhaust. it will be my first time fabricating a exhaust but it shouldnt be to bad. heres a setup im trying to mimic. while not the prettiest it is super simple. maybe one day i'll get a tig machine and learn how to make fancy pie cuts

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr

red line shows where the factory ac lines ran. going to have to go custom on them. also shows where the trimming needs to be done for clearance

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,401 Posts
Nice! That doesn't look overly complicated, good luck getting it done.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Yeah I did a quick search and it looks it has been done, so good luck.

From your example above, looks like they swapped to a M50 (metal) valve cover. Sorry if you covered it before, but my guess is that you'll be doing that since it looks like the turbine housing and dump pipe will be running very near the VC? Don't forget to heat shield those coils and run without the cover (unlike above) because those coils are sensitive even on NA motors.

GL with exhaust fab work, I'm not a fabricator by any means but it's pretty easy to slap something together with a decent MIG and some pre-fab mandel bends (highly recommended). I think I spent $100 building the header-back exhaust on my Mk2, including the $30 muffler from Summit, and I didn't use all of the bends I bought.

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Yeah I did a quick search and it looks it has been done, so good luck.

From your example above, looks like they swapped to a M50 (metal) valve cover. Sorry if you covered it before, but my guess is that you'll be doing that since it looks like the turbine housing and dump pipe will be running very near the VC? Don't forget to heat shield those coils and run without the cover (unlike above) because those coils are sensitive even on NA motors.

GL with exhaust fab work, I'm not a fabricator by any means but it's pretty easy to slap something together with a decent MIG and some pre-fab mandel bends (highly recommended). I think I spent $100 building the header-back exhaust on my Mk2, including the $30 muffler from Summit, and I didn't use all of the bends I bought.
i got a metal vanos valve cover to prevent heat warping the plastic ones and i normally run a cover for the coils. just took it off to tuck the wiring out of the way to get the manifold in. i boutgh a 3" vibrant J pipe which is what the guy who built the exhaust i posted used so it should work no issues. only downside is i dont have a band saw so im going to have to get creative when it comes to making clean cuts. im also going to heat wrap the downpipe and probably get a turbo blanket as well. along with hood vents im hoping i can keep engine bay temps down. im also going to run a stock clutch fan along with my spal pusher fan to keep coolant temps down

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
small update. got the tial wastegate in. routing is gonna be a bitch on it. going to have to cut out the fender liner then straight up and out the hood. hopefully no interference with the tire at full angle. the exhaust housing it getting the crooked vband cut off and a new one welded on straight, once thats back i can start looking at making that all fit.

also got the trans off so i can straighten and strengthen the trans tunnel, pop on a new clutch and rebuild the shifter

cracked trans tunnel

new clutch

old vs new flywheel. surprising only slipped in 3rd gear after it gets real hot during hot laps

also found out my flywheel was eating the starter. never hear any noise

and super minor but got some batteries for the welding helmet and finished up the cat delete. its gonna be interesting getting this cat back to fit up to the downpipe im going to make

·
18,401 Posts
Love seeing this thread getting updates on my subscribed list. 👍

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Your new flywheel looks like the one that came out of my old car, which I had resurfaced before throwing it back on the old motor to go in the new shell. I think it's an eBay special, but it cleaned up nice.

The old one looks like a UUC w/ M5 clutch, also a quality piece. You might want to hold onto that in case the clutch going in doesn't hold. I only hear good things of using the M5 clutch in an E36 application.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Your new flywheel looks like the one that came out of my old car, which I had resurfaced before throwing it back on the old motor to go in the new shell. I think it's an eBay special, but it cleaned up nice.

The old one looks like a UUC w/ M5 clutch, also a quality piece. You might want to hold onto that in case the clutch going in doesn't hold. I only hear good things of using the M5 clutch in an E36 application.
the new one is a ebay FX "stage 3" $300 special. it was recommended by a few people to me. i figured worst case if it starts to slip halfway through the season im not out a ton of money and can then upgrade to a better clutch. the uuc will not hold up to more power. it already slips when hot on stock power and spinning the tires. ive heard so many mixed reviews about the uuc clutch. some love it and some hate it

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
the new one is a ebay FX "stage 3" $300 special. it was recommended by a few people to me. i figured worst case if it starts to slip halfway through the season im not out a ton of money and can then upgrade to a better clutch. the uuc will not hold up to more power. it already slips when hot on stock power and spinning the tires. ive heard so many mixed reviews about the uuc clutch. some love it and some hate it
It's got some heat checking on it, so I'm not surprised. The gripes I've seen about the UUC is that it requires the heavier M5 clutch, so compared to the E36 Fidanza setup it's heavier. It's about the same as a 13 lb steel flywheel and clutch setup which is what you and I have. The big difference is diameter. Stock non-M is 228mm, stock E36 M3 is 240mm and the M5 clutch is 260mm. Maybe a stock M5 clutch isn't much better than an E36 performance clutch (depending on what you run) because it's still an organic disc, but if you compare with similar disc materials you absolutely have more margin with an M5 setup.

Just food for thought. The button/kevlar setup should provide decent grip, but it doesn't hurt to have a plan B in case you want to turn up the wick.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
got the turbo back with the new v band welded on and much straighter then the last one

then started to make the down pipe. this is attempt 2. attempt 1 did not turn out to good

used tape to mock the cuts up before i tack welded

by tim wilson, on Flickr

tacked together

im going to be added a flex pipe before the 90 to soak up heat expansion and to prevent damage when the exhaust gets hit by stuff

my original plan was to y pipe the down pipe to the OG gutted cat back for simplicity and time saving but i could not find the y pipe adapter that would fit (no one makes a single 3" with dual 1.875" outlets) so i ordered some more 3" piping and im going to build my own straight pipe. i will also be getting the manifold and downpipe ceramic coated before i wrap them to help even more with engine bay temps.

i also got this bitchin steel trans crossmember and vanos turbo oil feed line from rallyroad.

i straightened out the trans tunnel and i plan to reinforce both sides with pieces of angle iron to prevent similar damage from happening in the future

Reactions: Stevo12

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Solid progress, can't wait to hear a sound clip with some turbski noises
best part about a turbo is the noise. cant wait myself. my goal is to have it fired up before february and get it tuned in february. then testing by march

·
18,401 Posts
The midrange power is going to be greeeeaaaattttt.

You'll never have to shift again!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
The midrange power is going to be greeeeaaaattttt.

You'll never have to shift again!
thats what im hoping. im shift between 2nd and 3rd a lot to stay in power and stay close to people. i should be able to stick to 3rd gear and use a lot of LF braking to modulate my proximity to the lead driver while staying in the power band and on top of the turbo

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
got a lot done this weekend.

clutch installed

trans in with the new trans crossmember. my shoulders were blown out after putting this in. it sucked the big one

started working on the mid pipe. needed a third hand to hold the exhaust up while i layed it out and tacked it into place so a stool with a jack stand worked great!

after the down pipe the exhaust runs parallel with the frame rail then at the kink it goes towards the center and then up. gives it great ground clearance in the center of the car

drilled some holes, poked in some bolts and welded them in place for the exhaust hangers

pre made pie cuts came in handy

downpipe fully welded. far from pretty but should hold. definitely have to take some of the scrap pipe and do some practice welds. going to get it ceramic coated along with the manifold and wastegate exhaust

this angle better shows the upward sweep the exhaust makes to tuck it into place

still waiting on a ****ing flex pipe for this section. but you can see the gap has shrunk once everything has been welded up. once the flexpipe is welded in i will recheck my gap here and possible do some minor hammer massaging before getting it coated

full exhaust on the ground. made it in 3 sections. removing just the middle section i am able to service the trans and driveshaft. removing the rear sections i can service the suspension, axles or the diff. pretty happy with it and i cant wait to hear how it sounds

rear section

ground clearance

next on the list is the wastegate exhaust and the intercooler set up. thats gonna be a bitch due to me keeping AC.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Exhaust looks great!
thanks! theres a ton of room for improvement but being my first one i am pretty stoked.

heres the dilemma with the intercooler and waste gate setup. i cant clock the turbo down more as it lines up perfectly with the wastegate exhaust. i cant clock the wastegate anywhere else as there is no room straight up, no room behind and no room straight down due to the AC compressor. so i need to route the wastegate out and back then straight out the hood

then i almost need a 180 bend welded onto the turbo to route the piping back and down behind the headlight all the while making sure it clears the tire at full lock and full compression

then hug it down the frame rail and out the front.

the plan is to buy the CX racing intercooler kit along with 2 90 degree aluminum elbows, mock up the intercooler and see what all needs to be modified to make it fit, then mark it out and send it to a buddy who can weld aluminum for me. not gonna be fun but its what i have to do to keep my AC

·
18,401 Posts
Can't wait to see what you come up with for intercooler piping.

201 - 220 of 265 Posts