VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 240 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Can't wait to see what you come up with for intercooler piping.
ended up rerouting my wastegate down and back then up and will eventually go straight out the hood

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr

this will get a longer pipe when im ready to cut a hole in the hood

this allowed me to clock the turbo way down which will make routing of the intercooler way easier

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
some updates. got the wastegate exhaust completed and the hole in the hood cut

got the intercooler and test fitted after making some brackets. it is super tight. I plan on adding some rubber to the back of the electric fan to prevent it from rubbing a hole in the intercooler

and some rubber here to prevent the same thing. I am perfectly fine with them getting dented as long as it doesnt produce a hole

got the elbow in for the turbo. gonna get the red part cut off and have a friend weld on the elbow for me as I am not equipped to weld aluminum

which should end up sitting pretty right around here giving me good clearance from the tire. a rubber 90 would have worked but It would be way "fatter" and better chance of getting caught by the tire or debris

I ordered a ton of small parts too. a walbro 255 pump, siemens 60lb inj, 7lb wastegate spring, a bunch of intercooler piping and hoses, cheap BOV and a mount for the nissan MAF sensor that im going to running. only things I think I have left after all that is the oil drain line from the turbo, headgasket/studs, ceramic coating the exhaust bits that are in the engine bay, heat shield for the coil packs and I think thats all before it gets tuned and ready for a test drive

Reactions: Stevo12

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,401 Posts
That is a ton of work man. You're killing it though, keep it up.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Got enough space behind the rad to make it a puller fan? If not, I imagine you can swap it out for a slimmer fan and then run it as either a pusher or puller (although puller is more efficient). Granted, I'm a couple weeks out from installing the front clip back on my car, but IIRC there's a lot more space between the motor and rad in my E36 than there is between the VR6 and radiator in my Mk2 GTI (which runs a dual slim fan puller setup)

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Got enough space behind the rad to make it a puller fan? If not, I imagine you can swap it out for a slimmer fan and then run it as either a pusher or puller (although puller is more efficient). Granted, I'm a couple weeks out from installing the front clip back on my car, but IIRC there's a lot more space between the motor and rad in my E36 than there is between the VR6 and radiator in my Mk2 GTI (which runs a dual slim fan puller setup)
I plan on running the stock clutch fan along with this spal pusher fan. I know the spal is good enough to keep the engine cool under stock power but the turbo will have obviously more heat. so the spal+stock clutch fan should help it stay cool. also If I remove the pusher fan then the AC wont really work which im trying to keep

Reactions: Stevo12

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Gonna need you to re-make the exhaust on my Rabbit, thanks. I'll send it down shortly. 😂
as long as you are ok with some ugly welds I can do it when this things done 😂

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,222 Posts
Not much to add other than I love following this. It's fun to see an e36 that is the antithesis of mine. Yours is probably so much more fun to drive. I wish I were so brave.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Not much to add other than I love following this. It's fun to see an e36 that is the antithesis of mine. Yours is probably so much more fun to drive. I wish I were so brave.
you will have to come out to clubloose one day at englishtown and go for a ride along!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Dude the current one is the MK3 catback that we hacked up, flipped parts around on and MIG'd with stainless wire 😂 😂
ok, I mayyyy be able to make it nicer 😂

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
you will have to come out to clubloose one day at englishtown and go for a ride along!
It's only a five-hour drive from me, so that's entirely possible. If you remember, let me know come spring and I'll make the journey.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,401 Posts
It's only a five-hour drive from me, so that's entirely possible. If you remember, let me know come spring and I'll make the journey.
Oh hell yes. In for this.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
****in eh. I'll bring a couple go-pros, a drone, and a couple mics. Will post results.
if you are serious about doing video or even drone stuff you could sign up as media and get in for free along with ride along with any approved A group car for free. when the schedule drops i'll let you know

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
if you are serious about doing video or even drone stuff you could sign up as media and get in for free along with ride along with any approved A group car for free. when the schedule drops i'll let you know
Sweet. I have a former student who has worked for the smoking tire among others. Maybe I could bring him along. He's a hell of a camera operator. But I am serious. I could make a weekend of it. I don't work from early May until early September. All I do is mess around in my garage and go hiking with my fam. They wouldn't miss me for a couple days.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Sweet. I have a former student who has worked for the smoking tire among others. Maybe I could bring him along. He's a hell of a camera operator. But I am serious. I could make a weekend of it. I don't work from early May until early September. All I do is mess around in my garage and go hiking with my fam. They wouldn't miss me for a couple days.
sweeet. some of the drone pilots here are nuts. heres a video of me driving a 450+hp e36. only my 3rd lap behind the wheel of it (click black box for video)

also finally got the flexpipe in and welded up so the exhaust is done. just need to add a bung for the wideband and one for a o2 sensor then its off for ceramic coating

221 - 240 of 265 Posts