VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
was pretty productive this past week thanks to having a ton of parts on hand and being forced to stay home from work due to covid symptoms even though i got a negative result.

intercooler piping mocked up to about where i want it all to sit

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr

test fitting the new bumper. the bash bar is so tweaked after breaking it and bending it so many times that it doesnt sit anywheres near as good as it used to. the driver side headlight also isnt bolted in so its not sitting right

welded in a bung for the wideband sensor

and a down stream o2 sensor

along with cleaned up the rats nest behind the passenger headlight

before

after

next on the list is figuring out how to boost proof the IAC (idle air control valve), clean up driver side headlight wiring, make a shield for the coil packs and wiring around the wastegate exhaust, see if i can re route the coilpack wiring harness to go from under the down pipe to on top of the engine, wire in the wideband gauge, re position the fire suppression pull cord, send the down pipe/wastegate/manifold out for ceramic coating, do the HG and studs while they are off, clean up the sharp edges where i cut the wheel well out, oil drain line, bigger inj (have just not installed yet), bigger fuel pump, wastegate spring, vacuum lines for the wastegate/BOV, get the maf sensor bracket welded into the charge pipe, get the nissan maf wired in, hood vents and i think thats all i need to do the first start up.

one thing i may try is possibly a less CFM pusher fan. my current pusher is a 16" spal pushing 1900CFM and is 3.5" deep. i went to test fit the mechanical fan and it clears the rad but just barely which is no good. im going to rely on the mech fan to do the majority of the cooling and have the pusher help but its also needed for the AC condensor. but with how tight everything is i cant really move the rad any farther forward. a 16" spal moving 1500CFM is a hole inch shallower which would give me plenty of room to move the rad forward for clearance. i also think it will move plenty CFM to help the mech fan along with help cooling with the AC.

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Oh man Xentec HID...I haven't seen that logo since 2009 when I used them in the yellow GTO lol.

This progress excites me.
lol, cheap amazon ones. the one on the driver side has swollen and split the casing but still works

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,437 Posts
Wow man that's fantastic progress. Can't wait for first video running.

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,267 Posts
you will have to come out to clubloose one day at englishtown and go for a ride along!
So, I fixed my Phantom 3 drone. It's a couple years old but is still entirely serviceable. I also contacted a former student who is a great videographer and we will make an effort to come to an event. He lives in Nashville but I told him he can take my car out for a couple days if he makes the journey. When you know, send me a schedule and we can see what we can make work.

·
18,437 Posts
So, I fixed my Phantom 3 drone. It's a couple years old but is still entirely serviceable. I also contacted a former student who is a great videographer and we will make an effort to come to an event. He lives in Nashville but I told him he can take my car out for a couple days if he makes the journey. When you know, send me a schedule and we can see what we can make work.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
wideband wired in and installed

picked up a slimmer 1500cfm fan to replace the 2000 cfm fan that was taking up a to much room for comfort. now the intercooler has room to move around without potentially causing damage to the fan or itself

·
18,437 Posts
Great progress.

When you get this running what kind of numbers do you expect to see out of this?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Great progress.

When you get this running what kind of numbers do you expect to see out of this?
i am hoping for as close to 300hp as possible. i dont want anymore than that but theres a good chance its gonna be more. i honestly have no clue what its gonna make. im gonna be running a 7lb spring in hopes to keep the boost low. anything less will be basically uncontrollable pressure wise with the size of turbo im running. i also have a 11lb spring i may toss in once the 7lb tune is set to see how it runs and use that for some small local comps where im competing against 400+hp cars

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
went to tackle the RR wheel bearing. I had some up and down slop and some weird things going on with the rotor rubbing the caliper bracket.

turns out the c clip has popped out at some point and the bearing has been slowly walking its way out

also found out how bad I destroyed the hydro pads. they were EBC yellow pads at one point but on my way to the last event a tire fell onto my hydro just enough to cause the e brake to drag but not effect towing enough for me to notice. absolutely wrecked the pads

got the old bearing out and the new one in

I replaced that bearing during last year off season. however I didnt have the proper tools at the time and had to chisel the race out to get it out causing some severe damage to the C clip area. still a bit sketched out by it so I will keep a eye on it. worst case I will have to replace the trailing arm with one of my spares. after installing the new bearing I still have the up and down slop but the rotor is sitting in the middle of the caliper bracket like it should. still need to figure out where the play is coming from.

hood vents should be here monday so I may get them installed next weekend. also plan on running up to a buddies performance shop to get the oil drain line set up for the turbo. once thats installed I can take it all apart and send the exhaust pieces off to get ceramic coated

Reactions: EBC Brakes UK

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
the 2 day sat/sun events are big events with east coast bash being the biggest event. probrodown is the event where formula D drivers are invited to drive with the A group drivers the day after a formula D event on the former drag strip

·
18,437 Posts
Can't wait for more drift footage, it's gonna be awesome this year with the new setup.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
got my trackspec motorsports hood vents installed. had to push the side vents closer to the windshield to clear the turbo. pretty happy with it

start off with a centerline

side vents are 3.5" off the edge of the hood

holes cut

riveted in

had to do some trimming to clear the shock tower

tomorrow I should be getting all the things I need for the oil feed and drain line which is the last thing I need before I can send the exhaust parts out for ceramic coating

·
18,437 Posts
Looks great, I hope it helps with keeping the engine bay cooler.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Looks great, I hope it helps with keeping the engine bay cooler.
it certainly cant hurt lol

got all the parts for the drain line today. just waiting on a large tap thats hopefully coming tomorrow so I can drill and tap the oil pan

have to make something to keep the drain line off the manifold. also going to get some heat wrap for it

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
more updates

oil pan drilled and tapped

the grease on the drill bit works great for keeping the metal shavings from falling into the pan

the hot side is all ceramic coated now

and the head is off for a fresh gasket and ARP studs. hopefully it goes better than last time

Reactions: x(why)z and Stevo12

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '98 M3, '91 GTI VR6
3,665 Posts
There's a lot of juice in those cylinders, didn't drain the block before pulling the head?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
There's a lot of juice in those cylinders, didn't drain the block before pulling the head?
drained the rad. its all cleaned out now. oil will be drained again before the first event

241 - 260 of 270 Posts