VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
quick sandpaper with some oil to clean the head and block

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr

some fresh exhuast studs

then I tried to muscle the head on by myself and ended up breaking a chain guide

thankfully had a good spare from the old blown engine

so after getting that swapped I had the GF help me guide the chain through the head

heads back on and the manifold mocked into place

next week I will hopefully I will have everything back on and tightened down. getting closer to the first start up

Reactions: Sold Over Sticker

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
top end back together. first time doing vanos alone so that was scary and I hope I did it all right. spun the engine around by hand a few times with no binding and the cam locks slid back into place when I set it back to TDC. I may try firing it up this weekend. I wont have the charge pipes hooked up as I still need the maf but I should be able to run it NA with the stock maf just to make sure it actually still runs after doing the HG. gonna be installing the manifold, wastegate, running the oil feed and drain lines, intake back on with new boost proof kit, bigger injectors, wastegate back on, bigger fuel pump installed and fingers crossed it starts up.

Reactions: Stevo12

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,402 Posts
Great progress dude. I'll patiently await you starting it this weekend. ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Great progress dude. I'll patiently await you starting it this weekend. ;)
ended up getting it to start tonight. fired right up and idled NA. I didnt have all the sensor and vacuum lines plugged in so it wasnt super smooth and wouldnt rev but im just relieved it started and didnt sound like it was misfiring. video is on my IG

261 - 265 of 265 Posts