VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
S2000, E320
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my biannual fantasizing of getting a motorcycle, I came across the BMW K1600. I noticed that, while in no way related to the S54, spec wise it's about a perfect half.

They also sound beautiful and now I wonder how impossible it would be to swap one into a 2002.

K1600S54
1.6L3.2L
160hp333hp (US Spec)
132tq262tq
8500 rpm redline8000 rpm redline

Toy Font Engineering Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
12,074 Posts
Would make sense if it were a 3 cylinder

Reactions: Raguvian

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
6 divided by 2 equals 6. Math checks out, engine is half of S54.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
8,884 Posts
They also sound beautiful and now I wonder how impossible it would be to swap one into a 2002.
Impossible? Doubtful.

Probably have to cut and weld in the engine bay to get the width of the motor in. Car transmission options would be pretty limited but you could swap the bike trans over too; car's gear lever would map to the bike's foot lever, and would just be forward/backward sequentially, and hydraulic clutch should also map. That bike is even shaft driven with two u-joints so you'd even be able to connect to the rear differential with some fabbing.

I wouldn't recommend it though. It'd be a lot of work, and when you show it off people are going to laugh at you for making your BMW transverse.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Impossible? Doubtful.

Probably have to cut and weld in the engine bay to get the width of the motor in. Car transmission options would be pretty limited but you could swap the bike trans over too; car's gear lever would map to the bike's foot lever, and would just be forward/backward sequentially, and hydraulic clutch should also map. That bike is even shaft driven with two u-joints so you'd even be able to connect to the rear differential with some fabbing.

I wouldn't recommend it though. It'd be a lot of work, and when you show it off people are going to laugh at you for making your BMW transverse.
I watched Smoking Tire One Take with an old Honda stuffed with a motorcycle engine. I believe the redline was like 12k. I know only 1 fat dude could ride at a time that day due to power to weight ratio or so the owner said. Matt winding out the gears sounded pretty good, he was pretty excited about it too.

·
Registered
S2000, E320
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did we just learn that torque and displacement are often proportional?
How often do you get to compare two motors with the same cylinder count and double/half the displacement?

I watched Smoking Tire One Take with an old Honda stuffed with a motorcycle engine. I believe the redline was like 12k. I know only 1 fat dude could ride at a time that day due to power to weight ratio or so the owner said. Matt winding out the gears sounded pretty good, he was pretty excited about it too.
VFR swapped N600

·
Registered
29,535 Posts
"Yak, yak, yak, yak, yak..."

Nothing wrong about riding a fast bike in traffic, while talking to the youtube and pointing at stuff with your hands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts