VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

BMW M Coupe vs Audi S3

4K views 71 replies 57 participants last post by  Numbersix 
#1 ·
Picture this: Life or death situation. You have to choose one of these cars to be your daily driver, or you die.
If you had to pick one, which one would you choose...
M Coupe:
Base Retail Price: $44,990
3.2L 315 bhp I6
Audi S3:
Base Retail Price: N/A in NA (Prob about 35k if it were avail)
225 bhp Engine
1.8-litre Turbocharged Quattro

[Modified by Tyler Durden, 4:22 PM 12-28-2001]

#12 ·
Re: BMW M Coupe vs Audi S3 (A4Jetta)

I love both of these cars and are very comparable in my view. As for my daily driver I would have to choose the stunning S3. NOW BRING IT HERE dang nabbit! Or the M coupe shall be it!

Piney

#16 ·
Re: BMW M Coupe vs Audi S3 (some9one)

tough choice I can't vote!
The M coupe is beautiful with a sweet sounding I6 RWD and just classy styling. A useable boot too. The S3 is has quattro AWD which is useful for New England winters. 4 cyl Turbo (turbos are always fun) and also the gas mileage is pretty decent. Can't I have both?

#18 ·
Re: BMW M Coupe vs Audi S3 (Tyler Durden)

M-Coupe. Hands down and nothing you say will change my mind. Amongst my list of various and assorted dream cars ranging from a 1965 Mustang GT Fastback to a 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R and every/anything inbetween, the top is the M Coupe. It's close, it's tight, it's muscular. It's intimate, but it ain't a beauty. I love the interior though. Simply laid out, quality materials, very business like. And, though I own a 1.8T, I miss the power of a 6 cylinder. And NO one makes a 6 like BMW does. It's the best MGB-GT ever built

#20 ·
Re: BMW M Coupe vs Audi S3 (VwG60Kid)

How could you pick the S3 over the M coupe? The M coupe is hands down the baddest car in production right now (well, maybe a Viper). It has got to be one of the best sports cars out there, and its so beautiful. Plus, its got a BMW inline-6 under the hood...there's no way you could possibly say that the 1.8T is a better engine than that swweeeeet BMW engine. Forget this comparison...If you told me I could buy one car under $50k, that would be it. In charcoal grey. No question about it.
Can you tell I love this car? To me, this comparison is like Accord vs. Lancer Evo VII. They're the same shape, but there's no way I could compare the two.

#21 ·
Re: BMW M Coupe vs Audi S3 (AndrewT)

i'll take the roller skate on wheels.. tough to rotate the tires since the backs are deeper then the fronts.. but i still love the ///M-coupes, more so then a roadster.. i dont like being able to sit in a car and when you are backing up you can reach the end of the trunk... either way.. i will take a custom SC'd 372 whp roadster in yellow.. too bad its gone..

#22 ·
Re: BMW M Coupe vs Audi S3 (JrodVW)

The Mcoupe is a reliable car....only a few small common problems, the rear washer jet shoots fluid all over the place during high acceleration and the electronic mechanism in the hatch release are known for breaking.
This was a great armrest, this guy takes the cheap plastic junk armrest from BMW adds padding and stiches it in leather, then embroiders ///M stripes or logos on it- really offset the interior (didn't charge much for it either).

#23 ·
Re: BMW M Coupe vs Audi S3 (DuckyGTI)

Chip the S3(maybe exhaust too) and bye bye M coupe. I love both, but I'll take the Audi just cause It has more tuning potential for less money. I could drive a F1 car every day and be comfortable so practicality does not matter to me.

#25 ·
Re: BMW M Coupe vs Audi S3 (AndrewT)

quote:[HR][/HR]How could you pick the S3 over the M coupe? The M coupe is hands down the baddest car in production right now (well, maybe a Viper). It has got to be one of the best sports cars out there, and its so beautiful. Plus, its got a BMW inline-6 under the hood...there's no way you could possibly say that the 1.8T is a better engine than that swweeeeet BMW engine. Forget this comparison...If you told me I could buy one car under $50k, that would be it. In charcoal grey. No question about it.
Can you tell I love this car? To me, this comparison is like Accord vs. Lancer Evo VII. They're the same shape, but there's no way I could compare the two.[HR][/HR]​
I couldn't have driven the car everyday, lots of people do though... the car is too small, the seats weren't that comfortable after awhile, you can't leave it anywhere without people licking the windows, it was ok in the rain with the traction control...but still wasn't great (you can forget about snow).
But thats me, there are people who drive Vipers as their only ride....mine collects dust 4-5 days a week.

[Modified by Beltfed, 10:19 PM 11-27-2001]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.