VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Re: BMW M5 a compact? (vdubjb)

sure looks bigger than a compact, doesn't it?
a half hearted search turned up this, from the EPA's 1999 guide on fuel economy: link
Compact - Between 100 and 109 cubic feet of passenger and luggage volume
Mid-Size - Between 110 and 119 cubic feet of passenger and luggage volume
The BMW has 93 and 11 cu of passenger and luggage space, respectively, according to the EPA. So there you have it.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Re: BMW M5 a compact? (vdubjb)

A little digging finds this, the EPA interior volume classifications for passenger cars < 8500 lbs:
Mini-compact - less than 85 cubic feet
Subcompact - between 85 and 99 cubic feet
Compact - between 100 and 109 cubic feet
Mid-size - between 110 and 119 cubic feet
Large - 120 or more cubic feet, including all station wagons (small, mid-size, and large)
The 2001 BMW M5 has a passenger volume of 93 cu ft, which combined with its cargo volume of 11 cu ft, makes for 104 cu ft and the compact classification.
Other vehicles (passenger, cargo volume in cu ft):
BMW M3 (84, 9) - subcompact
Chevrolet Cavalier 4-Dr (92, 13) - compact
VW GTI (86, 18) - compact
Toyota Echo 4-Dr (87, 14) - compact
Thus, by the EPA classifications, the M3 is the smallest car of the lot?

·
Registered
27,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: BMW M5 a compact? (dmc)

So if I take a quote from an echo to the bimmer dealer, I should get a hell of a deal, lol.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]A little digging finds this, the EPA interior volume classifications for passenger cars < 8500 lbs:
Mini-compact - less than 85 cubic feet
Subcompact - between 85 and 99 cubic feet
Compact - between 100 and 109 cubic feet
Mid-size - between 110 and 119 cubic feet
Large - 120 or more cubic feet, including all station wagons (small, mid-size, and large)
The 2001 BMW M5 has a passenger volume of 93 cu ft, which combined with its cargo volume of 11 cu ft, makes for 104 cu ft and the compact classification.
Other vehicles (passenger, cargo volume in cu ft):
Thus, by the EPA classifications, the M3 is the smallest car of the lot?
[HR][/HR]​
Yep.. and technically, the Saab 9000 qualified as a "large car" with 123/23.5, though only 187in long.
It's as if the EPA decided to classify cars by type according to fuel mileage. Wheras the M5 would certainly be classified as a truck.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts

The space in the current 5-series (E39) is plenty useable, and I bet there's more back seat legroom and headroom than most of the others classified as compacts. The smallish trunk doesn't help in the EPA classifications.
Also, I'm sure that the M3 that was listed at 84 cu ft passenger room is an E36 and not the current E46. There's always a debate about why the interior room of the E39 isn't much greater than the E46. I'd bet you that the next 5-series will not be classified as a compact (probably due mostly to it's bulbous trunk
).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts