VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/20995630/bmw-apple-carplay-reverse-decision-annual-fee-vehicle :

"BMW has backtracked on its controversial decision to charge an annual fee for the use of Apple’s CarPlay in its vehicles, according to 9to5Mac. Since 2016, the German automaker has required owners to pay extra to use CarPlay — first as a one-time $300 option and then later as an $80-a-year fee. Now it appears that BMW has seen the error of its ways.

It was a questionable decision from the start, considering no other automaker makes its customers pay for the use of CarPlay. A BMW spokesperson noted that the change will apply to both US-based and UK-based customers. Anyone who owns 2019 or 2020 model year vehicles and current BMW-Apple CarPlay subscribers will shortly no longer have to pay for a monthly or annual subscription, the spokesperson said. However, this process may take several weeks to complete for existing accounts."

Way to go BMW.

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,336 Posts
Subscription for all the car's features is the way to go.

Roll down window? 5 cents. Roll back up? Another 5 cents.

Use windshield wipers, 20 cents. With windshield wiper fluid? Additional 12 cents.

Turn signals.... no sense in charging for those, they never get used.

13,842 Posts
:thumbup:

I realize this was the idea of a "brilliant" MBA, but I doubt this will be the last of the battles on what automakers should include v. charge a subscription. Ford was all set to charge for telematics/remote start/etc. when they realized there are far more opportunities for developers if the connection is free and included with every car.

·
Just Going with the FLO.
2,240 Posts
Subscription for all the car's features is the way to go.

Roll down window? 5 cents. Roll back up? Another 5 cents.

Use windshield wipers, 20 cents. With windshield wiper fluid? Additional 12 cents.

Turn signals.... no sense in charging for those, they never get used.
brilliant! esp if you pay surge pricing of extra in the rain.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,175 Posts
Our 2018 was before it was a subscription and we didn't option it. I wonder if they'll upload it free?

And the article is slightly wrong about only manufacturer, I did have to pay for carplay on my 718. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Our 2018 was before it was a subscription and we didn't option it. I wonder if they'll upload it free?

And the article is slightly wrong about only manufacturer, I did have to pay for carplay on my 718. :thumbdown:
I think they meant pay a subscription, lots of cars have it as an option or embedded in an option package (For my Jeep it was part of the ~$1k "technology package" that includes the bigger screen, XM radio, and auto-climate).

sticker by Chris Stack, on Flickr

·
Registered
46,055 Posts
They are also one of the few automakers not supporting Android Auto. I understand they are trying to push iDrive apps and stuff but that's not what buyers want.
I really like the ability to use the same Apple Carplay in my Chevy and my Ford. Having the same UI in different vehicles makes life so much easier.

I wish Porsche had Carplay in 2016. Their native system in my 2016 sucks for the most part. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,175 Posts
I wish Porsche had Carplay in 2016. Their native system in my 2016 sucks for the most part. :thumbdown:
I think it's the same as my '13 Cayenne for the most part? When I got that car I never had a problem with it, but since then I've had a '17 GTI and now '19 718 and it makes the older Porsche system feel, well, old. I think there is a CarPlay retrofit out there though.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,175 Posts
I think they meant pay a subscription, lots of cars have it as an option or embedded in an option package (For my Jeep it was part of the ~$1k "technology package" that includes the bigger screen, XM radio, and auto-climate).
Make sense. I think the option included an extra USB port and a button on the turn stalk. Still, I feel like it was the worst of the option-robbery on the car. :laugh:

·
Registered
46,055 Posts
I think it's the same as my '13 Cayenne for the most part? When I got that car I never had a problem with it, but since then I've had a '17 GTI and now '19 718 and it makes the older Porsche system feel, well, old. I think there is a CarPlay retrofit out there though.
I last checked on retrofit in mid 2018. It is a ~$650 kit from the UK and a 50 page manual on how to install it. You had to take apart the PCM and install a subboard. Not something I really wanted to play with on the car. Maybe if someone experienced andd local would do the install I would consider it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think the 2016 unit is basically the same as my 2012, which came out in 2009. For a 2016 model it would be ancient and terrible.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Maybe if Google was not harvesting data on everyone they would support it.
Yeah Google seriously steals sensitive data in the process and Porsche and BMW really don't want to offer it. Toyota and Lexus held out for a while for this exact reason, but in the end they caved because their competition was pushing how they had it when Toyota didn't. Pretty sad that middle Americans are too naive to notice their data being stolen like this. They wouldn't give their ssn to a stranger and hope for the best, but they would plug their phone into their car and transmit private data every day.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts