VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Toyota said the same thing when I had a Highlander and was in the market for a new car. I told the dealer/salesmen, I understand but I and many others have already decided to give up their personal info willing to these companies and Toyota denying use of these systems won’t change that fact. Considering that these systems are now a big selling point for buyers as people are familiar with them and much better than what car manufacturers provide.
Also, if I'm carrying my iPhone IN my car, how much more info can they steal versus plugging my iPhone INTO my car. Sure, some telemetry, but destination, speed, all that crap it can already do.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
BMW probably not doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

My guess is they are taking a beating in consumer sanctification and "quality" surveys like JD Powers over non-functional Carplay after the initial trial period. Unlike satellite radio, people are not expecting Carpaly to stop working after a year.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Just connecting via bluetooth still exchanges a lot of data in most cars now-a-days. We've managed to get an incredible amount of travel data from phones pre-carplay/aa in injury cases. This also cuts the otherway, a vast amount of your phone's data is stored in the vehicle once connected. We managed to get entire text chats from a car when someone claimed they no longer had the phone/conversation. I remember the first time I did it I was honestly dumbfounded at the amount of data that could be extracted.

In sum: your isht is everywhere you've been.

·
Registered
46,493 Posts
BMW probably not doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

My guess is they are taking a beating in consumer sanctification and "quality" surveys like JD Powers over non-functional Carplay after the initial trial period. Unlike satellite radio, people are not expecting Carpaly to stop working after a year.
3 years in and Carplay in my Colorado is better than when I bought it. Same for the Escape. Hasn't cost me a dime for either. Just a phone which I would own anyway. Apple is the one doing the upgrades, not the auto manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
3 years in and Carplay in my Colorado is better than when I bought it. Same for the Escape. Hasn't cost me a dime for either. Just a phone which I would own anyway. Apple is the one doing the upgrades, not the auto manufacturer.
Yeah, I've had it for only about 15 months, and already there have been two major updates, one to allow Google Maps/Waze and one to add in the split screen display. Awesome how the infotainment in the car improves over time.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
I know that... I have carplay in my Audi so I know how it works. But BMW charges for Carplay so if you didn't pay the $80 a year, it stopped working after the free trial period, just like Sirus XM. Which is what this thread is about...

My hypothesis is the BMW saw early results of its JD Powers score because owners complaint a critical function stopped working after a while. This makes sense if you know when JD Powers do their initial quality survey... just in time for all those 2018 and early 2019 model year owners to take BMW to the woodshed. Most of them probably were not expecting Carplay to stop working.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts