VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

BMW will bring i1 And i2 'entry-level ev' to US by 2027. WOOD TCL?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Last year we heard rumors that the automaker had apparently put plans to make entry level EVs on hold, or that they were not going to come any time soon. This new bit of information seems to confirm that BMW has indeed not prioritized their development, presumably because it first wants to see the launch of the first Neue Klasse models go smoothly.

We currently have no idea what to expect from the i1 and i2 in terms of body style. BMW did show its i Vision Circular concept (pictured above) last year, and that kind of looks like a futuristic 1 Series, so it could be a very early i1 preview, but we still doubt the production model will look like that.

Could these two entry level models be a hatchback and a sedan, like today’s 1 Series and 2 Series Gran Coupe, but in electric form?
That may very well be the case since according to the source, the automaker is also going to launch the iX1, which will presumably retain the overall look of today’s model, so BMW won’t feel compelled to turn either model into a crossover-like vehicle.
Insideevs

·
Registered
22 XC40 EV, 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
3,355 Posts
It'll be polarizing, but I like the evolution of the grille here. BMW has basically combined it with the headlights so that they're all one design element. I much prefer this over retaining it as a separate and increasingly pointless front feature.

·
Registered
49,363 Posts
In all honesty as far as looks are concerned I'd drive a somewhat toned-down version of this over that new M2. This one is funky/weird, whereas that one is (to me) a poor execution of a classic form factor.

·
Premium Member
13,472 Posts
I wonder who has actually read the article.

I have made peace with the i3's looks so if these are affordable and more visually palatable I'd be down. I only need about ~100 miles of worst case real world range (so maybe like 150 rated) so they wouldn't even need huge batteries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts