VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow, I have been on vortex for ages and didn't even know there was a cabrio section
well... Hi

I just posted this on the A1 forum, but I guess it belongs here more.
so the cabby was dropped off to get a nice paint job... all bumpers, clipper kit to be removed, body work to be done, PPG paint, base coat/clear coat, and everything will be aligned and put back on.
what I need to know is:
should I keep the side moulding (the black one right below door handle)... if i remove it there will be a groove where the moulding sits, and it may look awkward... i don't wanna shave it/ fill it, since its too much work and my body guy dislikes using bondo, but I have the option of having him fill the clip holes and leave the moulding off
should I keep or shave the front orange and rear red side markers?
also.. should I keep the current quad headlight setup or go with a dual 7" crystal cross-hairs?
I like to shave the antennae hole as well.. but I like the radio as well... so where will I put the antennae since I cant exactly put one on the roof

please advise
Thanks

Ok if you are still reading...I have another question... I am buying a new a/c condenser since the old one is broken... when I install it, I will have the a/c charged but I can only find 1 a/c nipple... where is the other one? The one I see is on the left right in front of the timing belt as shown in the pic:

Also... why does my car look like its about to take off the ground (front is higher than the back... is it my front shocks or rear shocks)?

·
Banned
704 Posts
Re: body advise (rabbitation)

i would say shave/fill the moldings completely if you are painting the car a dark color...if you are keeping it light...keep the moldings on...i like the moldings with light color cabby...
the front and rear side lights...SHAVE THEM...they are UGLY!!!!
the antenna...keep the hole, tweek it a bit and install an mk4 antenna there...someone has pics of this mod on this forum. do a search...it looks awesome...i have that done...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rabbitation »
wow, I have been on vortex for ages and didn't even know there was a cabrio section
well... Hi

Haha, I had the same hiatus (sp?).
Like he said, shave the side markers! I would keep the antenna, because (and this is just my personal opinion), the hidden ones, on Cabby's at least, look like poopies. Just go with either a short mast, or the Mk4 antenna.
I like shaved moldings...
If you would like another suggestion, and I think these would work (I know they do for Mk2's, unsure about Mk1's though), put Corrado flairs on your car...That is, unless you are going to run thinner wheels, but if your gonna go for the deep dished look, those would look hella nice.
About the lights....Some people like the dual rounds, and others like the singles; I like the singles more. If you got the crosshairs, that would be pimp...With some yellow bulbs...yummy.
All depends on what you want of course....No matter who you ask, you're gonna get different answers (as you know
).
But whatever you do, I'm sure it'll look good!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,779 Posts

about your cabby's sagging butt: Many VW's do this, I have seen many, many A2's that look like that and a few A1's as well. It's a fact of life, old VW's will sag in the rear.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Re: (codycz8vdubt)

jealous of you getting paint and bodywork
if it were me.... I'd fill the holes leaving the groove
instead of the trim
I'd go single round cross hairs and then grill spioiler/eyebrow it.
I'd shave those sidemarkers, the orange/red
I'd get some sport springs to fix the sag
and about the antenna.... I like my olds school Hirshcman antenna,
maybe think about going satelite and then you're all set antenna wize and can shave that hole also.
hahaha... "shave that hole" hahaha

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (exboy99)

k, I have ordered my single 7" crystal cross-hairs, the red/orange side lights will be shaved... still deciding on what to do with the moulding... you are right its a personal preference... need to go to the body shop and stare at it for 10 min for a "eureka" moment when everything comes into perspective

1 - 7 of 7 Posts