VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the cabby was dropped off to get a nice paint job... all bumpers, clipper kit to be removed, body work to be done, PPG paint, base coat/clear coat, and everything will be aligned and put back on.
what I need to know is:
should I keep the side moulding (the black one right below door handle)... if i remove it there will be a groove where the moulding sits, and it may look awkward... i don't wanna shave it/ fill it, since its too much work and my body guy dislikes using bondo, but I have the option of having him fill the clip holes and leave the moulding off
should I keep or shave the front orange and rear red side markers?
also.. should I keep the current quad headlight setup or go with a dual 7" crystal cross-hairs?
I like to shave the antennae hole as well.. but I like the radio as well... so where will I put the antennae since I cant exactly put one on the roof

please advise
Thanks

Ok if you are still reading...I have another question... I am buying a new a/c condenser since the old one is broken... when I install it, I will have the a/c charged but I can only find 1 a/c nipple... where is the other one? The one I see is on the left right in front of the timing belt as shown in the pic:

Also... why does my car look like its about to take off the ground (front is higher than the back... is it my front shocks or rear shocks)?

Modified by rabbitation at 6:07 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
21,868 Posts
Re: body mod advise, please look at the pics and share your opinions,.. car' ... (rabbitation)

My antenna is chillin' in my raintray, and I get 95% of the reception I did before. Heck, it's even a mk1 antenna (in a mk3). The lack of moldings will not look awkward if you fill the holes; it's actually a pretty common setup. The lights and markers are personal preference, I prefer single rounds and no sidemarkers.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
ok...
for the side
DO NOT fill it
can remove the trim... channel looks OK on its own without the trim
antenna can be mounted either in the trunk or in the rain tray
mmmmmmmmmm singles are hot
i cut my AC out so don't remember
and the front appears higher because the arch is different... looks pretty level to me

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: body mod advise, please look at the pics and share your opinions,.. car' ... (rabbitation)

ps:
you know it'll be hot without the trim

·
Registered
233 Posts
Keep the side trim. Get rid of the antenna...raintray works fine. Get rid of the side markers please. Your suspension is out to lunch. Throw a 30mm drop kit with shocks in there and replace the bump stops and upper strut mounts. The ride will be amazing and your car will look a lot nicer in new paint with a decent stance. We just dropped my moms Cabrio last week 30mm and she says she gets tons of compliments from teenagers. Do it up!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh yeah....go with KYB shocks. They are cheap and for a 30mm drop they work great with lots of control. If you want to spend more go coilovers or a Bilstein cup kit.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
from the compressor, you have 2 tubes, high press. and low high is usually the fat tube and the filler will only fit one of the nipples (2 different shapes) they make it pretty easy, because if you put it in the wrong side it will kinda blow up (not really)
as for looks, pull the trim, plug the holes and shave the fenders. and its time for coilovers

and personnally, i think you should flip the hinges on the trunk and make it a little tailgate, i had a cabby, i hated having to bend under the lid to look in and get stuff.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts

Here's a pic of my mother-in-laws cabby. The body is basicly stock with differnt side markers.
Yeah thats right, mother-in-laws. It has a modded 2.0 16v too. It sucks, she's almost as fast as me.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: body mod advise, please look at the pics and share your opinions,.. car' ... (Flintstone)

Sharok, the rear ends cabby's tend to sag under the weight (the rear springs are probably tired, its common on mk2 sciroccos and mk1 jettas as well...if you run new 30-40mm drop springs with new struts it should help), the front also might be high if the front inserts were replaced with gas charged units instead of the stock oil filled.
IMHO I'd shave the side markers, made a huge difference in the look of my rabbit. Please don't fill the moulding groove. Its one thing to yank the trim and Mig up the holes (do they even have holes or is it just adhesively mounted trim?) but filling the strip is difficult unless one uses bondo a plenty

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: body mod advise, please look at the pics and share your opinions,.. car' ... (Crazy Hungarian)

thanks everyone,
consensus is lights must go and they will ... I kinda wanted to shave them too, but I like my car to look as stock as possible, I guess it will still look fine.
By the way Sandor, there are holes from the moulding clip, so if its removed, it will need to be welded and sanded, again too much work, so I guess I will leave it on.
I will post pics in 10 days when its all done and pretty

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
Re: (duct-tape)

Your body man doesn't like to work w/bondo?

You need to keep in mind there's more work into removing the trim and JUST filling in the trim holes. The ENTIRE cabby is composed of top and bottom pieces riveted guess w/?, yes, under the trim (German). You'll notice the roughness upon further inspection. So you'll have to fill in ALL of that on a smaller scale then have to deal w/all the bottom and top corners like the black one pictured above. I say fill it all the way, but on the other hand I'm biases.
[/IMG]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts