VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought in my car for paint (after saving up forever to get it done right). I bought all new sh*t like moldings, Mk4 look lights, glass etc... I really wanted the car to be like new.
When bringing in my car for paint I made it very clear that I wanted the car done a certain way; the right way. I specified that I want everything done perfect. He agreed that he would do it exactly the way I wanted. When I dropped off the car I left him a $1,000 dollar deposit and he told me that he would need two to three weeks to get the car done right.
Now ten days after the deadline my car is still in the shop. I get a call today with him saying that he is having some trouble getting the Euro rad support on. I go down to help him with the rad support and notice a few things that I didn't like.
I made it crystal clear that I wanted all of the glass pulled, all of it was pulled, except for the rear quarter panel, then I notice very faint masking marks on the inside of the engine bay, on both of the front fenders. I ask him if he removed the fenders and he replies "no, we didn't need to do that, it wasn't necessary” Then I notice that side skirt were not entirely removed for paint.
At this point my OCD meter was about to explode. The car looked amazing other wise, but.... it still wasn't what we agreed on, and I am bothered.
What do I do? Do I bring it to him? Do I ask him for $$$ off? To ask him to repaint all of that stuff seems a bit extreme, but at the same time it's his fault that it wasn't done perfectly the first time around.
It's a tough one because I'm dropping $3,500 on the job. It was originally supposed to be $3k, but I requested a few extra things like rolled fenders, painted doorjambs and rad support installation.
Oah, and here's the list I gave in typed and printed:
• Repair passenger side wheels well and fender
• Remove all glass, plastic paneling, all rubber, both front fenders, both doors, rear hatch and front and rear bumpers before painting.
• Reinstall all aforementioned parts in the above line after paint.
• Roll all fenders fenders.
• Install new headlights, radiator support, front lip and all other new accessories included.
• Fix drivers side rust under window.
• Fix passenger side door ding and dented scratch.
• Fix new drivers side door with bent corner.
• Fix rear license plate holder
• Shave windshield wiper fluid nozzles, antenna, windshield wiper hole on hatch, and front bumper side markers.
• Paint both doorjambs and rear hatch inside area, properly masked with interior trim set back for proper painting.
• Repair all body defects such as dents, dings, rust, scratched, etc.
• Match paint to the original factory color, “Mulberry”.
• Wet sand and all other finalizing procedures to maximize the quality of the paint.
• Contact Ryen Motzek @ 650.***.**** if there are any uncertainties.

Modified by Motzek at 4:21 PM 6-20-2006

· Registered
3,253 Posts
Re: Body shop problems... opinions please! (Motzek)

Well I run a bodyshop ill start with you got a heck of a deal at 3500.00 for all that work. I wouldnt touch that job at that price. I will say if you went over everything with this guy on your car and he knew you wanted to have all that stuff done and you had a deal then he owes you. I do have a question how did you find this shop is it somebody you knew or just a shop you ran accross. I know if I tell a customer in gonna do something ill do it. I also know from owning a Dub and working on alot we can get very picky when it comes to our cars and we need to let that be known when we have work done. I really think you should talk to this guy tell him hey I like the car but there is alot of stuff that I asked for and didnt get. Oh yeah do not get angry and start to argue with him thats not gonna help you at all I know when I get people that come in and start off with an attitude and start yelling and freaking out I keep em at arms length. Now when I have someone that does have legit issues and they come at me nice and calm and wanna reason I bend over backwards for em. So yes you do have every right to talk with him and explain your issues. Remember we take pride in our work so dont just slam the work he has done if the car looks good but there are a few issues let him know hey it looks great dont just start picking stuff out. I been in this industry for allmost 17 years I know how Bodyshop guys get be cool and calm and im sure yall can figure something out. If he doesnt wanna help you get in touch with me ill tell ya where to go from there.
Good Luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and I wanna see this car.
and for all you english majors out there I cant spell and yes my sentences run on dont wanna hear no crap im trying to help the man out.

Modified by BubbasA2 at 1:09 PM 6-15-2006

Modified by BubbasA2 at 1:10 PM 6-15-2006

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Body shop problems... opinions please! (BubbasA2)

Quote, originally posted by BubbasA2 »
Well I run a bodyshop ill start with you got a heck of a deal at 3500.00 for all that work. I wouldnt touch that job at that price. I will say if you went over everything with this guy on your car and he knew you wanted to have all that stuff done and you had a deal then he owes you. I do have a question how did you find this shop is it somebody you knew or just a shop you ran accross. I know if I tell a customer in gonna do something ill do it. I also know from owning a Dub and working on alot we can get very picky when it comes to our cars and we need to let that be known when we have work done. I really think you should talk to this guy tell him hey I like the car but there is alot of stuff that I asked for and didnt get. Oh yeah do not get angry and start to argue with him thats not gonna help you at all I know when I get people that come in and start off with an attitude and start yelling and freaking out I keep em at arms length. Now when I have someone that does have legit issues and they come at me nice and calm and wanna reason I bend over backwards for em. So yes you do have every right to talk with him and explain your issues. Remember we take pride in our work so dont just slam the work he has done if the car looks good but there are a few issues let him know hey it looks great dont just start picking stuff out. I been in this industry for allmost 17 years I know how Bodyshop guys get be cool and calm and im sure yall can figure something out. If he doesnt wanna help you get in touch with me ill tell ya where to go from there.
Good Luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and I wanna see this car.

Yo , This is why I love love you guys. I really appreciate the time and effort you put in to this response.
I found this shop through a friend, he's a Honda dude and reccomended this shop because someone with an dope ride on Honda tech had their whip done there and it came out perfect. I went down to the shop, talked to the guy and looked at some of his work and it looked way legit, along with his shop.
When I gave him the deposit he never gave me a reciept and I paid him in cash. I know it sounds stupid to give someone cash, but I trust the guy with my car, so therfore cash wasn't really an issue. However, I am a bit concerned now bewcause I feel that he's not being strait wih me, I mean I gave the dude a friggin list, could I have been any more clear? So what do you reccomend i work out with this guy? Do I ask him to stick to our agreement? Do I ask for $ off.
Thanks for your time!

· Registered
88 Posts
Body damage too! wow, that was a cheap price he gave you!
Off the bat, my first concern would be the paint up to the quarther windows.
You can rope up the lip on the quarters to get paint under them, but it really isn't worth the work, I would have cut them out and told ou you may have to spring for new glass should the frit get damaged.
The problem with a paint up like that is it is real hard to get the surface clean= paint\clear coat may not stick well could flake in future.... that's why it's easier to do it right and pull them... as you requested. If you can see the paint edge, I'd ask him nicely to pull the windows and do the area again ( based on the price you got I would offer to kick up some cash if needed... ) hopefully he'll just do it over for you to make it right.
By partially leaving on the side skirts do you mean he left on the glue on "hook" that the skirt slides into? If that is all, I wouldn't be to concerned about it, as you should still have good paint adhesion in all the local uncovered areas.
Talk to him about your concerns, give him a chance and see what he says. Try not to get too angry or work yourself up too much, that will only hurt you and not help the situation. Nothing ever goes too easy with cars, I think you'll have something you love in the end.
Good luck, and show us the finished pictures when you can.
~M.

Modified by Oldschoolwax at 11:21 AM 6-15-2006

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Oldschoolwax)

Oldschool,
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'll admit that when I saw the glass still in there I was a bit shocked... actually more shocked than anything esle. He called me to tell me that the glass couldn't be pit back in and that I would have to get new glass. He said that he would easily be able to work around the glass without having to pull it, i asked him if he was positive and he said yes. Minutes later I called him back and asked him to just remove the glass, and in the tone of his voice I could tell that he thought that I was crazy for wanting to pay extra for new glass, or that he had painted around the glass before he asked what i really wanted to do. When I saw the glass in there I immediatly pulled his card (in a strait forward way) he claimed that I told him to leave it in there (not true).
No matter what I am going to remain calm about this, it's very frustrating, some may even think it's not a big deal. And I know I'm getting a great deal, but money isn't the only issue here, it's about honesty and integrity, and I feel like there is some dishonesty going on.
I am sure it's going to look great no matter what, from what I saw I was pretty impressed and the bumpers were off and the car hd dust all over it. But I'm mildly OCD, and I like my sh*t perfect.

· Registered
3,253 Posts
Re: Body shop problems... opinions please! (wulfshrunting)

Quote, originally posted by wulfshrunting »
Bubba,
What could you get for $3500?

You can get a very nice paint job everything detrimmed wet sand and buff good detail job not much body work.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by BubbasA2 »

You can get a very nice paint job everything detrimmed wet sand and buff good detail job not much body work.

I've been quoted prices anywhere from $1800 to $7000 for this job. The guy I went to is right in the middle of it all.
Another funny thing... originally he asked for a six or seven hundred dollar deposit but I gave him 1K just incase something came up, or a part needed to be ordered. When I asked him to pay for the glass (front me $200) he stated "nah, the money you gave me is a deposit, the glass is something your gonna have to take up with your glass guy."
Why do I feel like I am being played right now?

· Registered
10,050 Posts

Dude, I feel your pain. My car went into the body shop in the winter of 2004-2005 and was supposed to be there for 3 months. They were doing quite a bit of custom work and were then supposed to make some molds for me as well. Long story short I got my car back 7 months and $7500 later and they didn't even finish all of the work. It also took an additional 5 months for them to pony up the rest of my parts. To make it even worse I had to find another shop this past winter to fix all the stuff that was done last year because the work was crap. They didn't listen to a word I said and nothing was done the way it should have been. So, I found a new shop that quoted me 2 months and $4000 to fix everything and modify one of the molds for me. IT has now been 5 months and they are no longer returning phone calls or emails. These were both very well respected shops that do amazing work. The first shop turns out $250,000 hotrods on a regular basis. I have no idea what's going on anymore. I'm to the point now where I'm talking with my attorney about going after the first shop to pay for the work the second shop is now supposed to be doing but I'm so pissed about the second shps lac of progress and communication that I'm thinking about just pulling the car and finding somewhere new to finish everything. At this point I don't even want the damn car any more.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Body shop problems... opinions please! (elicitvr6)

F*CK! Man, I am sorry, what the hell is wrong with people? All you have to do is be honest in life, that's it. If I were you I'd get an attorney immediatly.

Modified by Motzek at 4:23 PM 6-20-2006

· Registered
217 Posts
Hey, i'm the guy that originally recommended the shop.
Keep in mind that motzek also bought all the parts himself, so basically(he can correct me if i'm wrong) the shop is only doing labor and paint supplies.
I think 3500 is a good deal, but it is not such a good deal to give the shop any right to go back on it's word and half ass things that were supposed to have been done a certain way.
BUT I think motzek should listen to what bubba's saying, just come at him calmly and let him know how you feel about what's been going on, then try to work out a deal.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Tad3d)

Quote, originally posted by Tad3d »
Hey, i'm the guy that originally recommended the shop.
Keep in mind that motzek also bought all the parts himself, so basically(he can correct me if i'm wrong) the shop is only doing labor and paint supplies.
I think 3500 is a good deal, but it is not such a good deal to give the shop any right to go back on it's word and half ass things that were supposed to have been done a certain way.
BUT I think motzek should listen to what bubba's saying, just come at him calmly and let him know how you feel about what's been going on, then try to work out a deal.

Amen TAD, that's how it's going to have to go down. Calm and rational. But I'll admit that it is stressing me out quite a bit. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Motzek)

So I went to pick up the car today and immediatly I found two more errors, unshaved side markers and license plate holes on the front bumper. I didn't even get mad. The shop guy asked me what I thought about the car and I told him that I was blown away by how awsome the car looked, but I wasn't stoked on the front bumpers. To my surprise he didn't even question my argument, he agreed that it was his fault for overlooking that request and went ahead and agreed to fix it at no extra cost. About the rest of the stuff, well after seeing the car all buffed and clean, I was amazed, it really looked awsome, all of the body work, it all looked hott, a little fitment strangeness with the rear bumper, but overall, real nice. I still hit him up about not doing it to my exact specifications and he replied that he would knock off $250 and in his opinion it was just a communication problem. I told him that I appreciate his being fair and that I want some time to think about his offer.
This time around I feel better about the situation. I'll admit that the window not being pulled will probably bother me forever, but I guess that's life. The car lookes good and I will be proud to rock it when it's finally done. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,658 Posts
Re: (Motzek)

its costing me a grand to get a rust spot fixed, bumpers resprayed, and a grille painted for my mulberry. for all that you are getting done it sounds like a deal?
but i would be pissed if something was off too. they gave you the price, and its their job to do it right.

Modified by vr6exxy at 10:38 PM 6-16-2006

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.