VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,
I'm thinking of doing a bolt conversion on my 99 MK3 2.0 golf from 4 x 100 to 5 x 100. Who can help me with this the best/fastest/cheapest way???
I'm aware of hub adapter kit for the front that eurospecsport.com carries. Anyone ever done it? Do they bolt on directly? Can I buy it locally? What do I do about the rear drums?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Re: Bolt conversion...Help? (vw_2002_vw)

I've been wanting to do this for the longest time. I think that there some alternatives but the ECS kit seems to be the most inexpensive way. In addition to the hubs, you will also need:
1. New / or drilled out to 5x100 rotors, front and rear
2. Possibly new brake lines and a proportioning valve
3. New wheels (obviously)
4. Possibly a new master cylinder as I think the cars with rear disk have a larger one, but I could be wrong.
Autotech sells a complete kit to do a rear disc conversion but it's pricey at $800 U.S. I believe. The ECS kit is only $300 but you have to buy the rotors and stuff to do the rear disc conversion plus do the 5x100 conversion.
It would probably be easier and cheaper to swap out the rear beam in favour of one from a VR6 donor car then do the fronts, IMO.
Also, on my car anyways, I have a further complication that my car is equipped with ABS, so I'd have to convert to rear disc with ABS which basically means trying to do the rear setup like a 2.0 GTI

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Bolt conversion...Help? (Red Baron Golf)

Thanks Chris. Not as easy or cheap as I had hoped. Having thoughts now of selling up/out and moving on to a MK4 Jetta 1.8T or VR6 GLI...
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
???

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Re: Bolt conversion...Help? (vw_2002_vw)

For what you're going to pay I'd just sell your car and get a VR6 . In the end you really won't pay a whole lot more but you'll end up with a hell of a lot more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.