VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Re: Books to get for making Carbon Fiber parts? (jean malicar)

sadly i make a lot of cutsom cf parts.. and have never read any books.. basically i would say try stuff with fiberglass and then try cf... basically its one of those best way to learn is to do things in my opinion. I imagin there are books out there... basically though most of it is about the mold, the better the mold, the better the part... maybe check out auto-body books?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Books to get for making Carbon Fiber parts? (passatvr6er)

I think there is one book I found called Competition Car Composites
It sounds good. Reading http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
6,878 Posts
definantly use glass to learn. Lay everythign up and use quality resins etc etc etc but you will spend 1/1100000000000 th materials cost practicing.
hell you might even find that for what you are doing fiberglass is more then adequate since a vacuum bagged, carefully layed up fiberglass part is actually quite a nice piece... (especially when compared to the chopper gun stuff you usually see)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Re: Books to get for making Carbon Fiber parts? (jean malicar)

Quote, originally posted by jean malicar »
I think there is one book I found called Competition Car Composites
It sounds good. Reading http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I think ill check that out... especially if it has strength of materials stuff. Also right away start vaccuum bagging it makes life 10000x eaasier or if its a big part / award to bag you can squeegee it and it will have a pimp finish... if ya have any other q's just IM. Also there are several videos out there.. though i've never watched them.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Re: (fast_a2_20v)

Quote, originally posted by fast_a2_20v »
definantly use glass to learn. Lay everythign up and use quality resins etc etc etc but you will spend 1/1100000000000 th materials cost practicing.

Doing fiberglass isn't nearly as easy as carbon fiber. I am really good with fiberblass/had no problem making parts with it. As soon as I tried carbon fiber I screwed it up more than a few times.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Re: (mechsoldier)

Quote, originally posted by mechsoldier »
Doing fiberglass isn't nearly as easy as carbon fiber. I am really good with fiberblass/had no problem making parts with it. As soon as I tried carbon fiber I screwed it up more than a few times.

Yeah, but without the glass experience it probably would have been much worse... personally for the me the cf is harder just because it frays like a mother, so on top of it i throw a thin (2oz) layer of glass it helps with bling too..

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Re: (Buttero J-Lo)

An probably a lot more supplies than it will cost you to buy a CF hood or fiberglass hood. Mold alone will be pricey to make something that big and perfect enough. Then you have to figure out a way to glue in the under hood structure to it as well.

Modified by Fast2.0L at 1:13 PM 1-14-2005

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Fast2.0L)

Quote, originally posted by Fast2.0L »
An probably a lot more supplies than it will cost you to buy a CF hood or fiberglass hood. Mold alone will be pricey to make something that big and perfect enough. Then you have to figure out a way to glue in the under hood structure to it as well.

Modified by Fast2.0L at 1:13 PM 1-14-2005

I wont be making CF hoods and I got the book its awesome.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Re: (Fast2.0L)

Quote, originally posted by Fast2.0L »

Not true, making a mold will only cost about 40 bucks or so, and to make a true carbon fiber hood (not fiberglass with carbon over it which is what the 400 dollar ones are) will be about 6-7 layers carbon fiber at 50 bucks a yard = 350 bucks and probably a hundred dollars resin....That's only if you don't mess it up though. You don't GLUE the under hood webbing to it, you use the resin. And honestly with a solid carbon fiber hood that's that many layers, I doubt you even need it.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Re: (mechsoldier)

With enough layers of CF you would probably not need to reinforce the parts as long as you have worked in a few layers with the weave offset by 45°. Offsets other than 45 can also be used. A few friends have been doing research on composites and we've been doing some quick tests for our race team at school. With the woven fabric, there are two directions for the strands (90° to each other). When cured, a single layer of CF is quite stiff in certain directions, yet very flexible in others. With multiple layers you want to cover all the directions, therefore the need to offset the weave. The same applies for fibreglass.
One way to reinforce a part, say a hood, is to lay in structural ribs. You can do this with strips of a core material laid out like the original webbing (foam core or alum honeycomb with beveled edges to clean up the look). OR you can use additional strips of CF in a layout similar to the one used on the steel hood. However the benefit of using the original reinforcement is found when mounting the damn thing. Bolting directly into the CF is not a good idea as it WILL crack unless you have an aluminum insert to bolt the hinges to.
Using the orig reinforcement isn't the greatest idea either... what's the point in having spent major $$$ to have a light CF hood, but retain half the weight with just the support. If you want it all CF, then it has to be carefully designed with the proper inserts for mounting.
Vacuum-bagging would be beneficial to squeeze out all the airpockets between layers of CF, making it stronger. However this adds $$$ of equipment. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Sorry if I scared anyone away from composites...

Modified by phatvw1 at 11:33 PM 1-29-2005

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
Re: (phatvw1)

Would 9 yards of satin woven fiberglass fabric be enough to make a hood? I want to try making some composite parts and I figured a 5-layer fiberglass hood would be a good start. I am thinking it will be a flat hood with 4 hood pins to hold it down. What do you think?

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
Re: (Buttero J-Lo)

Alright i'll plan out all the materials i'll need then. How much do you think it'll initially cost? Wheres a good place to buy everything?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.