VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of a boost gauge - steering wheel mount like from ECS seems pratical and perhaps easier to install - but pillar mount looks more pimp?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Re: Boost gauge - steering wheel mount or pillar mount? (sgrassbaugh)

Put it on your steering column. Its easier to read plus it looks better. And I personally wouldn't want my boost gauge shot into my face if the airbag deployed from the a-pillar.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Re: Boost gauge - steering wheel mount or pillar mount? (01 Wolfsburg)

Quote, originally posted by 01 Wolfsburg »
Put it on your steering column. Its easier to read plus it looks better. And I personally wouldn't want my boost gauge shot into my face if the airbag deployed from the a-pillar.

How about you realize how the air-bag deploys before making such comments.......even though the airbag is in the a-pillar it won't "shoot into your face"........
both places are effective, personally I think its easier to look at the a-pillar than down at the sterring column...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Re: (jhirsch123)

Quote, originally posted by jhirsch123 »
Does your a-pillar have an airbag? How do you know the pillar mount won't get in the way?

I used to be under similar perception, until I searched on this topic. Basically from what I've gathered, a-pillar contains air curtain, not an front airbag. What happens is pillar opens and curtain just drops down along the side of the car. It also doesn't go down as far as place where you would install single or double gauge.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: (jhirsch123)

Quote, originally posted by jhirsch123 »
Does your a-pillar have an airbag? How do you know the pillar mount won't get in the way?

Because I installed it myself. THe curtain's lowest point does not reach the highest point of the 42DD pod.

THe angle isn't as bad as it seems in the pic

Modified by GT17V at 11:10 PM 9-15-2004

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Re: Boost gauge - steering wheel mount or pillar mount? (sgrassbaugh)

I currently have a steering wheel mounted pod installed, but I don't like the fact that I can't see my MFA and that the boost gauge is so close. Which is why I have the following at home, waiting to be installed (except with Stewart Warner gauges)...
Pillar mounted is too flashy for me... I'm not a big fan of advertising.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: Boost gauge - steering wheel mount or pillar mount? (sebastianjbauer)

Keep in mind the triple gauge panel requires a single din radio.
For us double din owners (Premium VI), need a new radio

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Re: Boost gauge - steering wheel mount or pillar mount? (leftcoastvw)

I second column pod. When ever I check my MPH's or RPM's I take a peek at my turbo gauge.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Boost gauge - steering wheel mount or pillar mount? (03PlatinumGray)

that's hot
(not mine, a post earlier called "what a match")

1 - 12 of 12 Posts