VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im doing a boost leak test on my passat and im having a hard time understanding whats going on with my piping. when i did it last nite i connecting the tester to the intercooler inlet and ran it at 9 psi through the intercooler and throughout my motor! i found i have a vacuum leak and will be getting the part to fix it tomorrow. im doing one again but the opposite way by hooking the tester up to the inlet to the throttle and disconnecting the turbo outlet and plugging it! i am trying to figure out why the air is coming out of my intake! the only source of air going to the air box is the diverter valve piping! i have the green spring in and it says its good up until 15psi! why would the air be coming out my airbox???? does this mean my seals in my diverter valve are bad? i used mobil synthetic grease to service and im not leaking anywhere throughout the piping! its all coming out the airbox! if someone could collaborate and explain what might be going on it would be appreciated!:)

· Registered
230 Posts
im doing a boost leak test on my passat and im having a hard time understanding whats going on with my piping. when i did it last nite i connecting the tester to the intercooler inlet and ran it at 9 psi through the intercooler and throughout my motor! i found i have a vacuum leak and will be getting the part to fix it tomorrow. im doing one again but the opposite way by hooking the tester up to the inlet to the throttle and disconnecting the turbo outlet and plugging it! i am trying to figure out why the air is coming out of my intake! the only source of air going to the air box is the diverter valve piping! i have the green spring in and it says its good up until 15psi! why would the air be coming out my airbox???? does this mean my seals in my diverter valve are bad? i used mobil synthetic grease to service and im not leaking anywhere throughout the piping! its all coming out the airbox! if someone could collaborate and explain what might be going on it would be appreciated!:)
i bet i know why its coming out of the pcv system it hooks from ur engine to the hockey puck looking thing in ur intake pipe near the air box mine was also leaking around the injectors.

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
let me take some pics so i can show everyone what i mean! maybe it will help! the test im doing now doesnt have to do with the motor itself but im almost 99% sure its not coming from the pcv system! its directly coming from the airbox! give me a couple min and im gonna put pics on here

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not sure if its the problem but here is a thought. try and plug the little nipple on the top of the diverter valve.. i thinkk its opening because there is pressure on one side of the plate inside the valve and if there is preassure on the other side it will stay closed.
i was thinking the same thing but i was under the impression that if the green forge spring was good up to 15 psi it would stay shut under that! but then i was thinking that if the car is not on there is no pressure on the piston inside the valve!

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i didnt do what u suggested i was kind of getting irritated but when i get that part i need for the vacuum leak that i have i will do another test! thanx u both for your input and suggestions! always appreciated!

· Registered
230 Posts
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/vw061p.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/vw063.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/vw064.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/vw065.jpg/

ok so i probably didnt do this right but the links are the pictures i took! i guess i will just get that part thats leaking and see if i will boost at 11 psi! thanx guys appreciate it much for your input!!!
block off the diverter valve where it hooks up to the silver pipe. u had it hooked up correctly just block off the valve.all u need to check is Ur inter cooler piping any way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.