VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At idle my vac is at -28/-29. WOT spikes 23/24 psi and holds 19/20 psi. I have p-flow(junk) apr 93, ghl 3" tb. Is this what I should getting as far as a reading. Got gauge installed by a pro. Was there when he did it. Even was on phone with autometer to check operation of gauge. I thought normal idle -20 to -22. Any info on this is very helpful.

· Registered
7,546 Posts
Re: Boost reading at idle (big fen v-dub)

sounds off to me. you can always try another gauge. you can pick up a VDO boost gauge for less than $30. might be worth looking into

· Registered
7,221 Posts

It should be around 20 at idle give or take. You'll see less vacuum when running the headlights and especially the a/c. If there's a bad connection or a leak, you'll see less vacuum, not more. At 28 in., it seems to me like there's something wrong with the gauge or the connection.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Boost reading at idle (LA Wolfsburg)

Guage is a Coabalt Boost I had it wired by a pro. Would the length of the hose coming off of the fpr make any dfference. I have it hose clamped at every connection. I will double check for leaks.

· Registered
903 Posts
Re: Boost reading at idle (turbovw18)

I run -20 at idle. it does vary by 2 or 4 more at times.

· Registered
4,901 Posts

Quote, originally posted by big fen v-dub »
Guage is a Coabalt Boost I had it wired by a pro. Would the length of the hose coming off of the fpr make any dfference. I have it hose clamped at every connection. I will double check for leaks.

Yes the length of the hose does matter.

· Registered
5,387 Posts
I just hooked up my boost/vacuum gauge tonight on my New Beetle 1.8T Tip. At idle, in park or neutral, the gauge reads about -20. When I put it into Drive or Reverse the reading ups to about -10. From everything I've ever read on the subject, I'd say that your gauge is a little funky or there's a problem somewhere in your motor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.