VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a selfish thread.... last time I had a VW and enjoyed working on my car I just.... 'did'... I never kept all my mods and pictures along the way in one place! Won't be nearly as awesome as some threads, but it's mine so that's a great feeling.:beer:

I've had a MK III 2.slo, MKIV 1.8T, MKIV R32 (my first VW.. lol), MKV GTI and now here we are.

Purchased May 13, 2016 . '16 T-Red MK7 GTI SE

Since we are required to carry front plates in good ol' Maryland... tow hook plate frame to the rescue:

Next up was window tint. 20% 3M film (sides and rear)

DeAutoKeyLED license plate lights and rear bulbs installed in September.
Aspherical mirrors installed as well. Need pics of this.

Kliimotorwerkes Badge overlays with the stickerbomb (and matching plate frame because it's fun).

This car has been such a blast.... in October I added the APR Carbon Fiber intake and Pwrhaus Diverter Valve Spacer. (Pic to follow.)

Today I replaced my shift knob and boot with the BFI offering. They are working with me since the coin does not actually fit in the top of the knob like it should. The leather is a little too thick, so pics to follow once it's corrected.

This weekend I'll be installing the APR catch can, coolant relocation hose and ECS Tuning Clutch Bleeder Block.

Still in Deutschland, but ordered, are Golf R tinted LED tails.

Thanks for checking out my little thread. Happy motoring! :wave:

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sub'd ... What do you plan on doing next?
After this? Probably suspension-- I loved the HPA SHS on my MKIV R32 and am happy to see that it's available for MK7.

I feel like the cf extension for the APR intake would be nice, and so could the turbo muffler delete...but the money for those bits could yield more noticeable improvements if put toward suspension instead.

I want to chip-- I really do, but I'd rather build it up in a balanced way so that I can add the chip and clutch together on a car prepared for the extra power. At least that's what I tell myself while I wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

October--
Pwrhaus DV Spacer. If you're considering a Spacer/noisemaker, this one is handy because it adds a 90 degree bend so the diverter valve has better clearance and doesn't hit the firewall.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wish I started my build thread when I started building my car...I feel like I am doing a lot of catch up while still trying to stay on top of the new stuff, Bravo:snowcool:

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Danke! Even starting now I'm realizing how many things I didn't document!! :beer::beer: Looking forward to the next steps. :D ...fwiw, seeing build threads that turn out like yours inspired me to start sooner than later!!!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Got the shift knob and boot squared away. The gold ball shifter from BFI didn't work out for me, and fortunately, NGP had the GS1 in stock. Feels awesome in the hand and has nice weight to it. The Black Forest shift boot looks great and is high quality leather. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts

Got the shift knob and boot squared away. The gold ball shifter from BFI didn't work out for me, and fortunately, NGP had the GS1 in stock. Feels awesome in the hand and has nice weight to it. The Black Forest shift boot looks great and is high quality leather. :)

Brrrr that going to be cold in the mornings. I got a bfi leather wrapped one ill sell you if your hands get cold.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brrrr that going to be cold in the mornings. I got a bfi leather wrapped one ill sell you if your hands get cold.

Lol it gets chilly. But I had the same style in my first dub because I used the B&M short shifter. I'm used to it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just grabbed up the apr short shift kit from NGP and bushings. I had the leather wrapped BFI on my TDI and don't plan on putting it on my GTI. If i did change i would go derlin. I must have more delicate hands than you lol but it does get cold here in the nova DC area. I'd probably let it go for 80 if you do find your hands freezing to your new all metal knob 😂

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today- did a couple of things I've been waiting to install.

Clutch bleeder block was very easy to install and improved pedal feel and clutch engagement.

Got rid of the coolant hose going over my intake. Yay!

APR catch can kit is nice but that stock PCV hose is a beeyotch to get off!!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just grabbed up the apr short shift kit from NGP and bushings. I had the leather wrapped BFI on my TDI and don't plan on putting it on my GTI. If i did change i would go derlin. I must have more delicate hands than you lol but it does get cold here in the nova DC area. I'd probably let it go for 80 if you do find your hands freezing to your new all metal knob

Yeah I'm in MD. Just doesn't bug me, but thank you!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ill try to off load it at the next NOVA DUB meet. Good work on your mods I'm interested hear if you catch anything with your can

Lol...me too. Thanks! Good luck with the sale.... I'm sure you'll have luck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.