VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in the process of purchasing a turbo scirocco for a measly $250. all it really needs is a headgasket. but i would like to take all the turbo stuff off of the rocco and put it on my 86 gli 8v. my main question is...how much boost can i run reliably without having to build the motor. it is all stock right now. if needed i can pick up a set of g60 pistons for cheap. also, will i have to modify my cis injection to run this thing? im pretty sure that i am going to have to run a 5th injector but will it be decent with the current fuel setup?
thnx
dugan

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: boosting my 8v....have a few questions (BoostedOne)

cape coma.....a.k.a. cape coral, is about 2 hrs south of tampa and about 45 min north of naples.....anywho...so i can run 10lbs on my stock injection with just a little bit of tweaking eh? im not too sure i want to run that mch boost when i start out...im thinking of running somewhere in the neighborhood of 8lbs. later on down the road i plan on changing to digi 1 with g60 pistons and headwork and all that jazz. now how reliable would it be for me to run 8lbs daily? i ask this because this car is my daily driver and i really cant afford to blow up the motor right after i boost it. so im looking for reliablity. any more info would be awsome.
thnx
dugan

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Its reliable. I was helpin one of my buddies turbo his rabbit truck back in the day and he used it as his daily. he did some minor mods to the CIS to make it flow more, I think he just jacked up the system pressure a little higher(Bently book will tell you how). We found the truck ran its best with no vacuum line to the dizzy(just running off the little mechanical advance it had).
The truck ran pretty strong. When it was still at 1.7 we took it to brandenton and it only ran high 14s but we couldnt get it to luanch without boiling the tires, even coming out in second gear. I think all that is because he is too cheap to put tires on it, trying to race on some 185-70-14 sears gaurdsman radials.
The truck ran 17.70s naturally aspirated though.
He's redoing it all now, with a 1.8 Xflow like mine, and hes going to be doing a standalone ECU. The CIS worked good, but at 10psi we hit a brick wall with the lack of fuel and timing control..
It was a dialy driver until it broke the turbine shaft and spit the wheel into the downpipe. After that he started ripping the truck apart to get it painted inside and out, do other projects, etc.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (wootwoot)

another question, should i relocate my fuel dist to the other side of the engine bay...where the washer tank is, to help make room to run intercooler piping? i think that in its current position it would be tough to run the piping because of clearance issues. i know that i would also have to change the intake mani with one from a rabbit...probably the scirocco one would work. oh and its cis-e so im not too sure what you mean by the vacuum thing..

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Oops..I am in the wrong generation. I was thinkin an A1 GTI.
You are probably right about the piping concerns. I did a 16V T with CIS(worked like sh*t, but anyhow) that was intercooled and didnt relocate the box, so you might be able to make it work. I ran the pipe out of the distirbutor down to the inlet of the turbo, then the outlet of the turbo to IC went over the inlet pipe, then down on an angle in front of the shock tower between the airbox and the fenderwell into the inner fender area up to the bumper.
You can use an A1 intake which will put the TB on the other side so you dont have to route the piping back IN that way from the IC as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts